dragon

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

keep getting a pop up about registry cleanup and whatever i do i cant get
rid of it, i mean i click on the x to close it and come back later on.

Now i have two pop up stoppers on win xp pro, checked the spyware with both
ad aware and spybot and checked for a virus, all startup menus and msconfig
all come back with nothing.

It seem the advert is from adserver.com, help would be apprciated

dave

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Do you have a FireWall blocking NetBIOS Pop-Up messages ?

If not, enable the WinXP SP2 FireWall.

Dave

Dragon wrote:
> keep getting a pop up about registry cleanup and whatever i do i cant get
> rid of it, i mean i click on the x to close it and come back later on.
>
> Now i have two pop up stoppers on win xp pro, checked the spyware with both
> ad aware and spybot and checked for a virus, all startup menus and msconfig
> all come back with nothing.
>
> It seem the advert is from adserver.com, help would be apprciated
>
> dave

What specific kind of pop-ups are you seeing? There are at least
three varieties of pop-ups, and the solutions vary accordingly.

1) Does the title bar of these pop-ups read "Messenger Service?"

This type of spam has become quite common over the couple of
years, and unintentionally serves as a valid security "alert." It
demonstrates that you haven't been taking sufficient precautions while
connected to the Internet. Your data probably hasn't been compromised
by these specific advertisements, but if you're open to this exploit,
you may well be open to other threats, such as the Blaster Worm that
swept across the Internet last year and the currently active Sasser
Worm. Install and use a decent, properly configured firewall.
(Merely disabling the messenger service, as some people recommend,
only hides the symptom, and does little or nothing to truly secure
your machine.) And ignoring or just "putting up with" the security
gap represented by these messages is particularly foolish.

Messenger Service of Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;168893

Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
Appears
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904

Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Oh, and be especially wary of people who advise you to do nothing
more than disable the messenger service. Disabling the messenger
service, by itself, is a "head in the sand" approach to computer
security. The real problem is not the messenger service pop-ups;
they're actually providing a useful, if annoying, service by acting as
a security alert. The true problem is the unsecured computer, and
you've been advised to merely turn off the warnings. How is this
helpful?

2) For regular Internet pop-ups, you might try the free 12Ghosts
Popup-killer from http://12ghosts.com/ghosts/popup.htm, Pop-Up Stopper
from http://www.panicware.com/, or the Google Toolbar from
http://toolbar.google.com/. Alternatively, you can upgrade your WinXP
to SP2, to install IE's pop-up blocker. Another alternative would be
to use another browser, such as Mozilla or Firefox, which has pop-up
blocking capabilities. (But I'd avoid Netscape; it carries too much
extraneous AOL garbage.)

3) To deal with pop-ups caused by any sort of "adware" and/or
"spyware,"such as Gator, Comet Cursors, Xupiter, Bonzai Buddy, or
KaZaA, and their remnants, that you've deliberately (but without
understanding the consequences) installed, two products that are
quite effective (at finding and removing this type of scumware) are
Ad-Aware from www.lavasoft.de and SpyBot Search & Destroy from
www.safer-networking.org/. Both have free versions. It's even
possible to use SpyBot Search & Destroy to "immunize" your system
against most future intrusions. I use both and generally perform
manual scans every week or so to clean out cookies, etc.

Additionally, manual removal instructions for the most common
varieties of scumware are available here:

PC Hell Spyware and Adware Removal Help
http://www.pchell.com/support/spyware.shtml

More information and assistance is available at these sites:

Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

The Parasite Fight
http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Windows Messenger Service on?
> Updated versions of Lavasoft AdAware SE & Spybot Search and Destroy?
> Tried an other AntiSpyware applications? (See Tip (10) below.)
> Checked for applications you don't use/did not install? (See Tip (7)
> below.) Checked your startups for any unknown services/applications?
> (See Tip (13) below.)
>
> Don't want to read all of this? Read these two links instead:
>
> Protect your PC
>
> What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service
> Pack 2 http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx
<SNIP>

tenderfoot wrote:
> Life is too short....get a Mac :)

It is an option, but I have found that most bad Windows users make worse
Macintosh users. *grin*

--
<- Shenan ->

> Do you have a FireWall blocking NetBIOS Pop-Up messages ?
>
> If not, enable the WinXP SP2 FireWall.
>
> Dave

i have that on two m8

> "Dragon" <davewhitnospam@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> | keep getting a pop up about registry cleanup and whatever i do i cant
> get
> | rid of it, i mean i click on the x to close it and come back later on.
> |
> | Now i have two pop up stoppers on win xp pro, checked the spyware with
> both
> | ad aware and spybot and checked for a virus, all startup menus and
> msconfig
> | all come back with nothing.
> |
> | It seem the advert is from adserver.com, help would be apprciated
> |
> | dave

gary

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Could be a Trojan Horse virus causing your problem. Most virus software have
trouble detecting Trojans. Kaspersky Antivirus will detect Trojans. You can
also try Trojan Hunter.