Popcorn makes microwave really hot and might have killed one microwave

kawaiiaurora

Reputable
May 19, 2015
Hey,
I occasionally put some popcorn kernels in a paper bag and then pop them in the microwave. They pop ok but the microwave gets really hot and the microwave before this one started going haywire (and finally broke) after I did some popcorn in it. The bag was actually melting in the microwave I had before this one (that's overheating when doing popcorn). Does anyone have an idea why this happened?

Thanks,
Aurora

gdeangel

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
The way to microwave popcorn kernels is to get some microwave popcorn and after you make it, save the bag. Those bags can be refilled with regular popcorn and popped without damaging your microwave.

A regular paper bag isn't going to do it.

I think the problem is that when you pop the popcorn, you are vaporizing water that is trapped inside each kernel. That steam escapes immediately into the air, and all that moisture gets sucked up into the guts of the microwave and will cause corrosion. When you cook a regular food - solid / liquid / whatever - the rate at which heated water molecules can escape into the air is restricted by the amount of surface area. I think this has something to do with why it's possible to super-heat water above the boiling point inside a microwave if you use a large container.

Anyway, the bags they use for commercial microwave popcorn have been coated and greased up in a way that the steam stays in the bag as the popcorn pops. At least that's how I understand it.

Solution