Question Popping audio in games - Asus Z170-A MB - would internal soundcard solve the issue ?

Apr 22, 2019
Hey guys !
I'm not usually a fan of posting on forums, as I do like to solve my issues myself.

But right now I am facing somewhat of a weird issue with my ASUS Z170-A MB audio. To describe it simply : audio pops / crackles very frequently while in games, and less so frequently while watching videos or movies.

Now I have done my research and found that many, many threads seem to point out a faulty onboard audio for the Z170-A motherboard.
One thread is particulary close to my setup, this one : https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/sound-static-and-crackling-possible-emi-issue.2878905/

The weird thing about it is that both 3.5mm AND USB devices render the same crackling popping noise. That's kind of a concern to me since I bought my present headset (Arctis 7) because it was managed through USB, which is supposed (?) to not use the onboard audio components/drivers.

Seeing as I don't have the budget to change the motherboard, I thought of getting an internal soundcard. Now my concern is this : my USB audio is bad even when it is not supposed to be. So would an internal soundcard actually do the trick and solve the issue ?

I'm thinking it could actually work because (weird again) the sound coming from my GTX 1070 is crystal clear, even when I plug my headset into the monitor's 3.5mm port.

I've done several of the recommanded actions, namely :

• disable Fast Start
  • updating BIOS
  • monitoring DPC Latency (it seems normal)
  • updating Realtek drivers
  • testing sound with/without video card
  • fiddling with the sound formats
  • disabling all audio enhancements
I'm not really looking for a solution to the motherboard issue, but rather a confirmation that said motherboard is known to have audio issues. And of course, confirmation that an internal soundcard (such as this one : https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Audigy-Performance-Headphone/dp/B00EO6X7PG ) would sove the problem.

Thanks alot !

Apr 22, 2019
I've tried the USB ports (2.0, 3.0 and 3.1) in both the front and the rear. Overall I've tested the audio with 4 different devices and they all sound bad on this PC. The only way audio can be good (especially while gaming) is through HDMI on my video card.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS