Popping/crackling in computer's sound; tried everything I can think of

grussellhill

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Hi everyone,

I recently built my own machine and it's been working great, save for the sound quality. In fact, low sound quality was one of the first things I noticed - when windows 7 started up for the first time, a pop interrupted its startup jingle. Ever since, I've been getting intermittent pops and crackling when playing music (doesn't happen so much with games).

For a while, I'd been running the speakers on my ASUS monitor. I thought it could be a problem with them, so I switched to headphones - still there was crackling. I switched speakers again, this time to an old set of Labtec speakers in my old tech box - still, there were popping noises.

My next thought was that it was a problem with my MB's onboard sound (here's my motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130265 ), so I decided to get a dedicated sound card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829270008 ) that had good reviews but wouldn't burn a hole in my pocket. After installing it and running my sound through it, there was still crackling (I've tried multiple PCI slots). I've made sure that the drivers for both the SIIG card and my motherboard are fully up to date, just in case that had something to do with it.

With that, I feel like I've exhausted the possibilities that are easily identifiable. I hope I'm not overlooking something stupid. Does anyone have an idea as to what's causing this problem?

Thanks a lot.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Hmmm,, your link leads to a page that contains a lot of open box items and yours is not there, now then ,,, you did not buy an open box item ??, 'cause if you did :(, it is just that when one buys an open bx item online it is not like going to the local brick and mortar which may still offer some warranty...[To say nothing of shipping charges]..............
Having said that, the only other suggestion that comes to mind,, is to try another psu even if you have to disconnect a few items for a lower wattage, or try it in a buddys computer, after all it is just a matter of drivers nothing to it...:)..

grussellhill

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010

I've only used the 3.5mm jack. Don't even have any USB headphones.