Popping noise coming out of speakers...

jbakerlent

Distinguished
Hi everyone, I built a computer about 4 months ago based off the PII 940 and it has started making a strange quiet popping noise through the speakers. Again this is not coming from the computer itself, but from the speakers. It's pretty constant and moderately annoying, but more importantly I'm wondering if it's a bad sign. Any help would be great, let me know if I left any info out of this posting. Thanks :)

What speakers? Try with a set of headphones and see if you hear it, make sure you pick something that it can be reproduced easily with like a certain song or intro music to a certain level. If it doesnt occur with head phones it is the speakers themselves and not the onboard sound in which case the only solution is better speakers or use a crappier sound card so the popping noise isnt the worst part of the sound.

jbakerlent

Distinguished
Hi Hunter, the speakers are Logitech x530's... Tried plugging the headphones in and the noise does not come through them, so the problem must be the speakers. Just a clarification: the noise happens through the speakers even when they are not playing anything. Thanks a lot, I think you've solved the problem. I'll get some cheapo speakers and use them instead for now.

Popping from the speakers can be contributed to a few things like; electronic noise interference from inside the computer bleeding over into and being picked up by the sound card, poor ground, static electricity, failing speakers.

If using onboard mobo sound, it could be picking up signal noise from other mobo components and manifesting itself as speakers pops. Even if dedicated sound card, if it's in a slot directly next to other components, it could also be picking up signal noise. If the speakers power connection has bad/frayed cables it can cause pops. If there is static electricity that can cause speakers to pop when the static discharges. If the knobs on the speakers are going bad, it can cause the speakers to pop as well. If the computer is not properly grounded, and when it does ground out, it can cause a popping sound from the speakers.