News Popular Ad Blockers AdBlock and uBlocker Deemed 'Fake'

Aug 29, 2019
Tad click baity article. Adblock and ublocker aren't fake, there's malicious extensions that are fake versions of them.

That like other malicious stuff on the net - good example is the fake windows errors that popup asking you to call Microsoft and not kill you internet connection. They do that because they think you are stupid and that was you should - clean you browser data and then turn it back on

A good give away is the source of this article - it from another Ad Blocker itself

https://adguard.com/en/welcome.html

The utiimate solution one day is for OS to run the browser in isolated Virtual Machine. There for on restart it complete new state. Copying download items from virtual machine is more in control from user and can go scanning software.

Giroro

Splendid
One would think that, if this were true, the makers of the real Adblock and uBlock Origin would have said something about this a long time ago.
Although, as far as I know, the "real" adblock still sells ad space to let companies like Facebook bypass the filter. So, real is relative.

Sep 18, 2019
Hi there! I'm from AdBlock - the real one (getadblock.com) - and I wanted to point out that your headline is extremely misleading. AdBlock itself isn't fake, the issue is that many ad blockers out there are maliciously presenting themselves as AdBlock. You also chose to use an image of our Samsung ad blocker, which is also not fake (and has nothing to do with this particular story). We're huge fans of the work AdGuard is doing to expose fake ad blockers, but we don't appreciate you adding us to the list. We'd ask that you choose a new image and consider editing your headline to avoid confusion.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2019
One would think that, if this were true, the makers of the real Adblock and uBlock Origin would have said something about this a long time ago.
Although, as far as I know, the "real" adblock still sells ad space to let companies like Facebook bypass the filter. So, real is relative.

To comment on this, we've (AdBlock - the real one) been fighting these fake ad blockers with our attorneys for years; we've actually spent a lot of time and money doing so. We haven't done an expose because we just haven't had the resources, but we're thankful for AdGuard for doing this extremely important work. These malicious extensions are a huge problem.

(And just to clarify, we don't sell ad space to anyone. If you're referring to our Acceptable Ads filter list, users are welcome to opt in or out of that as they please.)

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I believe the "real" uBlock does too, as it was purchased by AdBlock. "uBlock Origin" is different than "uBlock".

Sep 18, 2019
Hi there! I'm from AdBlock - the real one (getadblock.com) - and I wanted to point out that your headline is extremely misleading. AdBlock itself isn't fake, the issue is that many ad blockers out there are maliciously presenting themselves as AdBlock. You also chose to use an image of our Samsung ad blocker, which is also not fake (and has nothing to do with this particular story). We're huge fans of the work AdGuard is doing to expose fake ad blockers, but we don't appreciate you adding us to the list. We'd ask that you choose a new image and consider editing your headline to avoid confusion.

Thank you!

Thanks to the Tom's Hardware team for updating the headline and removing the AdBlock photo. We appreciate your quick response to our concerns!

Reactions: Remeca
Mar 16, 2019
... The utiimate solution one day is for OS to run the browser in isolated Virtual Machine. There for on restart it complete new state. Copying download items from virtual machine is more in control from user and can go scanning software.

That technology has been around since at least 2004. It's called a "Sandbox". Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise versions have it. There's even a way to enable it in W10 Home. Comodo Firewall has it as do some other programs.
The leader in that technology seems to be "Sandboxie", a program that can run your Browser in a sandbox allowing you to save the complete session, extract which downloads to keep or dump the whole session starting from a clean Browser next time.
Sounds like the "ultimate" solution has been around for 20 years.

michael clyde

Jul 2, 2020
On Android phones, there are many dns smart changer apps. Can change DNS to Adguard DNS Family Protection or Freenom.
This works quite well because it no need to connect to remote VPN, your network speed is protected.
Help you reduce ping when playing games by block unwanted contents.