News Popular Coolers Incompatible with Some LGA1700 Motherboards

mikewinddale

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016
I'm curious: when people transplant a cooler from their old computer to build their new computer, what do they tend to do with their old computer? Do they buy a new cooler for the old computer? Or do they scrap the entirety of the old computer, even though it still works, simply because the CPU no longer has a heatsink?

eye4bear

Honorable
Jul 12, 2018
All these issues sure seem like Intel has rushed the new processors into production as it appears the MB and cooler makers did not get 1700 specs and test units enough ahead of time.

rad666

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
I'm curious: when people transplant a cooler from their old computer to build their new computer, what do they tend to do with their old computer? Do they buy a new cooler for the old computer? Or do they scrap the entirety of the old computer, even though it still works, simply because the CPU no longer has a heatsink?
I always either sold the leftovers for parts or given them to friends.

Reactions: Phaaze88

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
These are actually in my mind, mobo makers being idiots. You know what fans are popular and how big they are. Make the space, and stop putting massive passive cooling all over the place without thinking about cooler size.

The idea that this is an Intel issue makes little sense, because if it was then all mobos would be having the problem.

New socket check your coolers before buying and mobos need to keep more space for these coolers. End of story.

For me the old system usually remains mostly whole. Except for data drives and maybe GPU. It then get downgraded to another role in life. Like a media server where it gets the old media server storage array. The new build gets a new heatsink.

But my computers get 10-15 years use. As they cycle to different functions.

Thats why you always keep the stock cooler and toss it on once you no longer need the PC lol

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
These are actually in my mind, mobo makers being idiots. You know what fans are popular and how big they are. Make the space, and stop putting massive passive cooling all over the place without thinking about cooler size.

The idea that this is an Intel issue makes little sense, because if it was then all mobos would be having the problem.

New socket check your coolers before buying and mobos need to keep more space for these coolers. End of story.

It's specifically Asus. They screwed up big time this generation. Their high end Hero boards are ludicrously expensive, and their entire "mid-tier" (and still expensive) Strix lineup has these compatibility issues.

Every other z690 mobo on the market from Gigabyte, MSI, Asrock, etc. are compatible with large Noctua air coolers - and are much more affordable. Asus' arrogance in pricing and design has reached laughable levels. I still can't forget their z390 boards with 4-phase VRM they tried to sell as an 8-phase.

Reactions: JTWrenn
D

Deleted member 2783327

I will generally replace the motherboard and CPU only (given that the RAM has been compatible for ages), then sell the old motherboard and CPU as a bundle, or use it to upgrade one of my other computers if I have one that is lower spec.

Every now and then I will end up with enough parts to build a new system, minus the cooler. So buy a cooler and sell the system.

Except GPU scalping put that practice to a sudden stop. With GPUs here as much as 4 times MSRP I haven't bought a GPU in almost 2 years. Everything else has gone up too, but not as much as GPUs

NoNigDK

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2007
Or do they scrap the entirety of the old computer, even though it still works, simply because the CPU no longer has a heatsink?

Usually I have a stock heatsink laying around, and the computer becomes a hand-me-down, first our son (9 yrs) and then our daughter (6 yrs). I'm currently rocking a 9700KF + RTX 3060 Ti and before that, a i3-8350K + RTX 2060 and before that a i7-2600S + GTX 970.

I sold my 2060 three months too early - around the time they announced the RTX 30 series and naively thought I'd be able to get one of the new cards.

Something-something mining, pandemic and whatnot. The long and short of it; had to do with the GTX 970 6-7 months after I sold the 2060. The current config is as mentioned before, but without the 2060.

What does that mean?

Well. My computer is as earlier stated, the boys computer is configured with the i3 + 970 and the girls computer is running with the i7, integrated graphics only.

The boy and I are playing SupCom/FA and SC2 together and the girl is only now getting into computers - mostly tic-tac-toe, snake or asteroids (games I've made my own versions of, hosted on my personal webpage) - and learning how to use one.

The plan is to keep this cadence and always shift the rigs one computer down at a time. So, when I upgrade the son gets the old one and the girl gets the boys former rig. You know; reduce, reuse and recycle? 😎

If they both decide that they're into it, we'll consider keeping them both up to date. But that's not a given.

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
It's specifically Asus. They screwed up big time this generation. Their high end Hero boards are ludicrously expensive, and their entire "mid-tier" (and still expensive) Strix lineup has these compatibility issues.

Every other z690 mobo on the market from Gigabyte, MSI, Asrock, etc. are compatible with large Noctua air coolers - and are much more affordable. Asus' arrogance in pricing and design has reached laughable levels. I still can't forget their z390 boards with 4-phase VRM they tried to sell as an 8-phase.
I am generally a gigabyte fan for boards. Have been since they first brought out the ultra durable line, and have yet to have a board die on me.

TRENDING THREADS