Populate User Desktop with only necessary application icons

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

I'm currently running a Windows 2003 Terminal Server farm with 3 servers. I
have about 300 users accessing them. These users have varying needs as far
as applications go. One user needs the icons for the payroll application,
while the next needs icons for the clinical application. Right now, I just
have all the icons in the "All Users\Desktop" folder. A non-payroll person
can click the payroll icon, and it will bring up the application. They
don't have credentials to get into the application though.

What I'd like to do is to dynamically build a users desktop, users will only
see icons they should.

Is this something that can be done? Is there a "Best Practices" way to
follow for something like this?

I was thinking something like this could be done based on Group Membership,
would this be the best way to build these desktops? Would creating OU's and
having a separate login script for that OU be the best?

Just not sure the best way to tackle this. If there is a standard way to do
something like this, I'd like to follow that.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts please. Thanks!

Jason Rosolowski
Systems Administrator
NHS Management, LLC
http://www.northporthealth.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

Sure, this can be done.

Create user groups for your different types of users.
Create custom desktop folders for these groups, containing only
the icons they should see.
Create different Group Policies, which use folder redirection to
let each user see the redirected custom desktop that is
appropriate for their User Group.

260370 - How to Apply Group Policy Objects to Terminal Services
Servers
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=260370

231287 - Loopback Processing of Group Policy
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=231287

--
Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

"Jason Rosolowski" <jason.rosolowski@northporthealth.com> wrote in

> I'm currently running a Windows 2003 Terminal Server farm with 3
> servers. I have about 300 users accessing them. These users
> have varying needs as far as applications go. One user needs
> the icons for the payroll application, while the next needs
> icons for the clinical application. Right now, I just have all
> the icons in the "All Users\Desktop" folder. A non-payroll
> person can click the payroll icon, and it will bring up the
> application. They don't have credentials to get into the
> application though.
>
> What I'd like to do is to dynamically build a users desktop,
> users will only see icons they should.
>
> Is this something that can be done? Is there a "Best Practices"
> way to follow for something like this?
>
> I was thinking something like this could be done based on Group
> Membership, would this be the best way to build these desktops?
> Would creating OU's and having a separate login script for that
> OU be the best?
>
> Just not sure the best way to tackle this. If there is a
> standard way to do something like this, I'd like to follow that.
>
> Anyway, let me know your thoughts please. Thanks!
>
> Jason Rosolowski
> Systems Administrator
> NHS Management, LLC
> http://www.northporthealth.com