Andrew

Anybody knows how to get rid of the pornopopups that
comes any time I open my explorer? Quite often they pop
up also while working. I have tried to remove all
suspect probrams but they seem to come back in
explorer the next day.
any idieas?

SpyBot S&D www.safer-networking.org
Ad-Aware www.lavasoftusa.com
There are other programs that may stop this, but these are
places to start.

"andrew" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:065501c48e80$87cb1d10$a401280a@phx.gbl...
| Anybody knows how to get rid of the pornopopups that
| comes any time I open my explorer? Quite often they pop
| up also while working. I have tried to remove all
| suspect probrams but they seem to come back in
| explorer the next day.
| any idieas?

peter

You have been invaded. Make sure you have a good firewall working and virus
protection scanning regularly and follow the following guidelines I borrowed
from another post elsewhere.
To deal with issues caused by any sort of "adware" and/or
"spyware,"such as Gator, Comet Cursors, Smiley Central, Xupiter,
Bonzai Buddy, or KaZaA, and their remnants, that you've deliberately
(but without understanding the consequences) installed, two free products
that are quite effective (at finding and removing this type of
scumware) are Ad-Aware SE from http://www.lavasoft.de and SpyBot Search &
Destroy from http://www.safer-networking.org/ . Both have free versions.
It's even possible to use SpyBot Search & Destroy to "immunize" your
system against most future intrusions. You could also use McAfee's free
Stinger removal tool available at http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ I use all
and generally
perform manual scans every day or so to clean out cookies, etc.
Browser HiJack blaster is another excellent free product which just sits
there guarding your PC available at
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/bhblaster.html
Additionally, manual removal instructions for the most common
varieties of scumware are available here:

PC Hell Spyware and Adware Removal Help
http://www.pchell.com/support/spyware.shtml

More information and assistance is available at these sites:

Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

The Parasite Fight
http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

Invest in a good firewall and virus protection

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.
"andrew" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Anybody knows how to get rid of the pornopopups that
> comes any time I open my explorer? Quite often they pop
> up also while working. I have tried to remove all
> suspect probrams but they seem to come back in
> explorer the next day.
> any idieas?

You may want to look at the information here on spyware and other parasites
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"andrew" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Anybody knows how to get rid of the pornopopups that
> comes any time I open my explorer? Quite often they pop
> up also while working. I have tried to remove all
> suspect probrams but they seem to come back in
> explorer the next day.
> any idieas?

Rodney

I had the same problem .I went to the microsoft catalogs and downloaded a
utility suite. I have found that system mechanic 4 pro is a wonderful tool
for resolving virus and malware issues

"Harry Ohrn" wrote:

> You may want to look at the information here on spyware and other parasites
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
>
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>

> "andrew" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Anybody knows how to get rid of the pornopopups that
> > comes any time I open my explorer? Quite often they pop
> > up also while working. I have tried to remove all
> > suspect probrams but they seem to come back in
> > explorer the next day.
> > any idieas?

Greetings --

When visiting porn sites, always be careful not to download/install
their "free" viewers. You'll get more than expected, every time. To
repair the current situation, uninstall the "viewer(s)" provided and
then use Ad-Aware from www.lavasoft.de and SpyBot Search and Destroy
from www.safer-networking.org/ to clean up any residue. Both have
free versions for personal use.

You should also try using MSConfig to see if something is being
started each time you reboot.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310560

Additionally, Look in the C:\Documents and Settings\All
Users\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up and C:\Documents and
Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up folders, and in the
system registry, primarily in the
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys.

Additionally, manual removal instructions for the most common
varieties of scumware are available here:

PC Hell Spyware and Adware Removal Help
http://www.pchell.com/support/spyware.shtml

More information and assistance is available at these sites:

Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

The Parasite Fight
http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"andrew" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Anybody knows how to get rid of the pornopopups that
> comes any time I open my explorer? Quite often they pop
> up also while working. I have tried to remove all
> suspect probrams but they seem to come back in
> explorer the next day.
> any idieas?

Please follow these steps in order to clean your computer of Malware which
can include Viruses, Trojans, Worms, Spyware, Hijackers and Dialers.

Step 1:
Download Spybot and Adaware from the following locations and install them.
You should run both programs and clean up what it finds. This is to
gaurantee that you find the most malware you can installed on your computer.

Before running the scans on both programs, it is mandatory that you update
the programs. There are update options in each program when you run them.

Spybot
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download

Ad-Aware

If you would like to learn more about how to use these two programs with the
proper settings you can read the tutorials below:

AD-AWARE Tutorial
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=48

SPYBOT SEARCH AND DESTROY Tutorial
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=43

When you scan with both programs, fix everything that it finds.

When you are done with the scan and fixing the items. Please continue with
the next step.

Step 2:

It is important that you run Spybot and Adaware before you proceed with this
step. Fixing enties with Hijackthis may leave behind unwanted files on your
computer if the previous step was not done first.

Create a directory on your hardrive to save HijackThis.exe. A directory
like c:\hijackthis. If you do not do this, you will not be able to use the
backup/restore features.

Download HijackThis from:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/hijackthis.zip

Save this file into the directory you made previously and then run the
program. Click on the Scan button and when it is finished click on the Save
Log button. A Notepad window will open with the contents of this log. Click
on Edit then click on Select all. Then click on Edit and then Click on
Copy.

Register an account at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com and post this created
log into the Hijackthis Logs forum at that site. To do this, once you are
registered, create a new post, right click in message area and select paste
to paste the log into the post.

An expert will reply to you after reading this post. DO NOT fix any entries
unless you are absolutely sure you know what you are doing as you may cause
more damage to the system

To see a tutorial on using HijackThis you can click on the link below.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=42

--
Lawrence Abrams
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com