[SOLVED] Port adapter for onboard 3.2 Gen 2 ?

cogsman

Prominent
Dec 27, 2020
Hi Everyone,

About to assemble my build, using an ASUS Rog Strix B550-i Gaming board. I wanted to take advantage of the USB 3.2 Gen 2 header on the front of the board which is "supposed" to be used for a front panel Type-C connector. A couple of questions:
  1. Is there an adapter that I can plug into this header and have a Type-C port on the back of my case (using one of the expansion card mounts), and which will maintain the full speed of the header?
  2. If there is no such thing, then is there an adapter that I can plug into this header and have a Type-C port on the back of my case, but which would run at a lesser speed (USB 3.2 Gen 1 or 3.1 Gen 2, or whatever the hell the speed naming convention is)?
  3. Could the header be used to provide 2 or more 5GB USB 3.0 ports on the back in the same manner?
All I can find are these small PCB-mounted riser plugs that you can then plug a cable into... it's all very confusing. Bottom line is I don't want that header sitting idle if I can use it. Any help is appreciated!

Solution
USB 3.2 Gen 2 is same USB 3.0 + Power Delivery. Eq theoretically capable to support 100W (20V/5A) for some power hungry device aka laptop or monitor. Connector is the same. Power Delivery is enabled if device and cable (correct PD cable have identity chip inside) is capable to support it. For data transfer you can use that cable with back panel I linked above. Don't power a laptop from it - it will not work.

cogsman

Prominent
Dec 27, 2020
The second USB-C port option above is what I am looking for, however it is a USB 3.1 Gen 2 connector. My header is a USB 3.2 Gen 2 connector. What happens if I plug the one you linked into my header? I don't want to short anything out. I am also looking for as much speed as possible. I cannot find a 3.2 Gen 2 version of the port you linked.

USB 3.2 Gen 2 is same USB 3.0 + Power Delivery. Eq theoretically capable to support 100W (20V/5A) for some power hungry device aka laptop or monitor. Connector is the same. Power Delivery is enabled if device and cable (correct PD cable have identity chip inside) is capable to support it. For data transfer you can use that cable with back panel I linked above. Don't power a laptop from it - it will not work.

Solution

cogsman

Prominent
Dec 27, 2020
This is helpful. So I will be able to get at least 10GBps and charge my phone on that port. I would not be powering a laptop or anything like that even if it was a full 3.2 Gen 2.