[SOLVED] Port Forward Absolutely Needed To Connect To My ASM Server Outside My Home?

LoneGreyWolf20

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
My apartments have managed internet, which means I am unable to access the router to port forward.

Will this be an issue if I want to run a ASM server and connect to it outside my home?

Solution
You can do nothing really when you need to host a actual server and do not have a public IP address that you control.
Spectrum talks to idiots most days which is why you got the response you did. Some idiots put their pc directly on the internet and enable file sharing. That is why even on connection that allow port forwarding they block many of the microsoft ports.

If you just wanted access to a server in your house you could use something like teamviewer. It even allows file transfers. What you want is far beyond that programs ability.

Pretty much you are going to have to build your own meetme vpn system. You would get a small vpn server from a hosting company and then build a vpn tunnel from your actual server OUTBOUND...
Dumb question... how does a VPN allow me to bypass blocked ports?

The VPN will establish a direct link between your home computer and your mobile computer. The traffic still goes through the building internet but does so as normal traffic. basically you are making a bridge between each computer and through that bridge you can access the server as if you were on a LAN instead of via the greater internt

LoneGreyWolf20

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
The VPN will establish a direct link between your home computer and your mobile computer. The traffic still goes through the building internet but does so as normal traffic. basically you are making a bridge between each computer and through that bridge you can access the server as if you were on a LAN instead of via the greater internt

Okay. I understand that.

Now, how do I connect to said VPN with my laptop? I'm not seeing how to do that on the page you linked.

Ok now i feel like an idiot. Unfortunately you DO need some access to port forwarding to setup a VPN through windows. I'm really sorry i got your hopes up if i think of something else i will let you know. Its really a pretty crap deal that they have managed internet

LoneGreyWolf20

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
I called Spectrum and asked for them to forward the ports for me and this is what a supervisor said to me...

The reason why they won't do it is for security reasons. They say that anyone can access their servers and company through my laptop through my games. In other words, someone is going to access Spectrum itself through my playing Ark if they open those ports.

I feel like I was fed a line to get me off the phone.

Last edited:
You can do nothing really when you need to host a actual server and do not have a public IP address that you control.
Spectrum talks to idiots most days which is why you got the response you did. Some idiots put their pc directly on the internet and enable file sharing. That is why even on connection that allow port forwarding they block many of the microsoft ports.

If you just wanted access to a server in your house you could use something like teamviewer. It even allows file transfers. What you want is far beyond that programs ability.

Pretty much you are going to have to build your own meetme vpn system. You would get a small vpn server from a hosting company and then build a vpn tunnel from your actual server OUTBOUND to this server. Since it is outbound it will work fine. You then create another tunnel from your laptop to this vpn server. The vpn server will connect the 2 vpn tunnels together.

It might be simpler and maybe cheaper to just host your server in a data center and then you don't have this issue.

Home internets are really no designed to run servers. Used to be a time you had to buy a business account if you wanted ports opened but console gaming needs them so the ISP backed off that restriction.

Solution