[SOLVED] Port forward not working

May 26, 2021
I'm trying to host a Minecraft server on port 25565 but nothing seems to work (I know barely anything about port forwarding and stuff)

Solution
Watch some videos on how to port forward for your specific router.

Couple of things you'll need:
IPV4 address of the computer you are hosting your Minecraft server on
Your public ip address, which can be found by google searching 'what is my ip'

Forward port 25565 (or whatever you're using for Minecraft) to the IPV4 address of the computer you are hosting the server on.

If you want to connect to your own server, you'll need to connect to the IPV4 address + Port. (Example 192.168.1.100:25565)
If you want your friends who aren't in the same home to connect to the server, you'll want them to connect to the Public IP address of your home + Port. (Example 58.29.22.95:25565)

kanewolf

Titan
I'm trying to host a Minecraft server on port 25565 but nothing seems to work (I know barely anything about port forwarding and stuff)
What router do you have?
Have you verified that you have a public IP address? If the WAN address in your router starts with 100.64.x.y or 192.168.x.y or 10.x.y.z then you don't have a public IP address and you can't port forward.

stevensl2

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Watch some videos on how to port forward for your specific router.

Couple of things you'll need:
IPV4 address of the computer you are hosting your Minecraft server on
Your public ip address, which can be found by google searching 'what is my ip'

Forward port 25565 (or whatever you're using for Minecraft) to the IPV4 address of the computer you are hosting the server on.

If you want to connect to your own server, you'll need to connect to the IPV4 address + Port. (Example 192.168.1.100:25565)
If you want your friends who aren't in the same home to connect to the server, you'll want them to connect to the Public IP address of your home + Port. (Example 58.29.22.95:25565)

Reactions: icarter
Solution