Question Port Forward not working

Sep 20, 2023
I have tried to port forward multiple times in the past it never worked and I had to abandon it. Now, today I'm trying to port forward again because of MC. So, port 25565 is closed even after I port forwarded and allowed it through my firewall. From reading other posts it seems that your WAN IP and Public IP(the one that you can find by using services like whatsmyip) must be the same. So, I'm wondering if I have a private WAN IP.

And this is what I found in my Deco App(I'm not sure if this is what I'm supposed to be looking for)

Deco app>More>Internet Connection>IPV4 Connection>IPV4

Internet Connection Type: PPPoE
IP address: 172.28.X.XXX
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway: 172.28.X.X
Primary DNS: 8.8.8.8
Secondary DNS: 1.1.1.1

My public IP is 45.125.XXX.XX

So, is my issue being caused by me having a Private WAN IP(I'm not exactly sure if mine is a private IP)? If so, what can I do to circumvent or solve it?

Edit: Deco is the app used to manage TP-Link Deco Mesh routers

Last edited:
172.28.x.x is a private ip range but it is a very uncommon one to be used. I assume you are seeing this on some setting on your router....is that what deco is.

Only public IP can be used to communicate between devices on the internet. Kinda like the address on your house.

Private IP are used internally say inside a business or home. Since everyone can use the same blocks of IP they are duplicated and only mean something inside that install.

Public IP have been in short supply and most people do not actually need one. ISP will therefore design there network so multiple people share public IP addresses.

You need a public IP that is assigned directly to your router to use port forwarding.

You have very few options. You contact your ISP and see what they offer. Some charge a extra monthly fee, some if you are lucky will give it to for free and other there are technical limitations that make it impossible.

Generally in these cases you are best off purchasing a server function in some hosted data center. Many times it is cheaper than the cost to get a actual public IP, you indirectly get a public IP when you buy hosted services.

Reactions: Shin Senpai
Sep 20, 2023
172.28.x.x is a private ip range but it is a very uncommon one to be used. I assume you are seeing this on some setting on your router....is that what deco is.

Only public IP can be used to communicate between devices on the internet. Kinda like the address on your house.

Private IP are used internally say inside a business or home. Since everyone can use the same blocks of IP they are duplicated and only mean something inside that install.

Public IP have been in short supply and most people do not actually need one. ISP will therefore design there network so multiple people share public IP addresses.

You need a public IP that is assigned directly to your router to use port forwarding.

You have very few options. You contact your ISP and see what they offer. Some charge a extra monthly fee, some if you are lucky will give it to for free and other there are technical limitations that make it impossible.

Generally in these cases you are best off purchasing a server function in some hosted data center. Many times it is cheaper than the cost to get a actual public IP, you indirectly get a public IP when you buy hosted services.
Deco is the app used to manage TP-Link's Deco(I use Deco M4's) Mesh routers.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023

Ah, so I need a specific public IP assigned to me and not a shared one? I do not have that much trouble even if I can't port forward. What I was worried about is that if I had some underlying issues with my network configuration.

Also, would you be able to tell me why a shared IP can't be used to port forward(the technical details), I'm kinda interested in knowing why.

Last edited:
You technically can kinda use port forwarding on a shared public IP your ISP just has decided it is not worth the support efforts it would put on their staff. Some VPN services offer this.

So rather than explain how ISP do this a better example. Lets say you were to get a actual public IP on your router. Your routers main function is to share this single public IP with all your internal devices. It is not real smart so you at times need to do port forwarding.

Now lets say you now run a cable over to your neighbors house and get them to pay for part of your internet connection. Your neighbor hooks up his own router. Your router gives his router private IP addresses just like it does for every other device in your house. So now when your neighbor wants to port forward he must ask you to put port forwarding rules in your router pointing to his router so he can then put in his own port forwarding rules to send the traffic to the correct device.

Reactions: Shin Senpai
Sep 20, 2023
You technically can kinda use port forwarding on a shared public IP your ISP just has decided it is not worth the support efforts it would put on their staff. Some VPN services offer this.

So rather than explain how ISP do this a better example. Lets say you were to get a actual public IP on your router. Your routers main function is to share this single public IP with all your internal devices. It is not real smart so you at times need to do port forwarding.

Now lets say you now run a cable over to your neighbors house and get them to pay for part of your internet connection. Your neighbor hooks up his own router. Your router gives his router private IP addresses just like it does for every other device in your house. So now when your neighbor wants to port forward he must ask you to put port forwarding rules in your router pointing to his router so he can then put in his own port forwarding rules to send the traffic to the correct device.
I see. Thank you for explaining. I appreciate the help.

@bill001g

Interesting - thanks.

I am just not sure that using that submask is a requirement for the described environment.

May be being counterproductive.
It has been many years since I chased cisco certifications and had to know details like this.
If I remember correctly it is related to trying to reduce the number of ip addresses in use, only partially applies with private ones.

Most network masks have allocated 2 extra one for a network address and the broadcast address. Point to point network since there is only one device on each end do not need this. They almost don't need IP addresses, many times you set them up as what was called IP UN-NUMBERED. The router just know to send certain traffic to particular physical interfaces.

PPP just obscures this more since it is now using virtual interfaces but the concept is the same.

Again you do not see it as much. Still is used in DSL but that is a virtual point to point over a ATM network.