[SOLVED] Port forwarding alternative?

Ravz

Prominent
Jan 28, 2020
Could anyone help with port forwarding. I've tried to forward few ports for Rainbow Six Siege since I've got high pings from few months. But none of the ports are being forwarded I guess. Is there anything that I could do other than port forward?

Solution
If it always timesout it is just configured to not respond. You many times get a single hop in the path that drops traffic or has long delays but not others. That just means it is a abnormality. Many routers are designed to only respond to a certain amount of test traffic to prevent denial of service attacks against them.

Many times so called network issues in games turn out to be something like a video driver setting. The games are too busy doing something else and just blame the network rather than blame that they didn't bother to check if they got a response back to a ping or however they calculate the delays.

Although it only sometimes works you might consider one of the gaming VPN services. If your ISP has a poor...
Port forwarding is normally only a issue if you are hosting a game. I was under the impression that you run on centrally servers and rainbow does not run peer to peer so you should not need port forwarding.

Port forwarding is not related to ping times. Most times when you need ports open the game will not run at all.

Reactions: Ravz

Ravz

Prominent
Jan 28, 2020
Port forwarding is normally only a issue if you are hosting a game. I was under the impression that you run on centrally servers and rainbow does not run peer to peer so you should not need port forwarding.

Port forwarding is not related to ping times. Most times when you need ports open the game will not run at all.
But there's also an option in the config file to run the game on UPnP and that doesn't even work as well when I checked in the router.
I agree that forwarding is not related to ping times, Battlefield and Apex have UPnP as default and runs great with best pings/latency(less than 40ms) compared to when the UPnP is turned off in the router(reaches up to 80ms). But in R6S none of these works, do you think this game has issues to run on UPnP? Sorry for my English though.

UPnP is just a automated method of putting in port forwarding rules. You have to be careful about what a game calls ping and something you get with a actual ping command. It makes no sense that UPnP would have any effect on latency. Latency is caused by data being held in a buffer someplace...or distance when things are working well. For UPnP to cause a issue the router itself would have to be holding data.

Not sure it maybe some strangeness in how the games run. Way to many games on the market and I play none that require any form of UPnP or port forwarding.

Actual network issue you would see with a actual ping command to some IP like 8.8.8.8. You could check with ping and tracert commands to various IP addresses related to the different game servers and see if anything stands out.

Hop 1 in a tracert is your pc and router, Hop2 generally is the connection from your house to the ISP. Issues past this are in the ISP network or other ISP. Generally it is going to be very hard to get anything fixed that is not in the first 2 hops.

Ravz

Prominent
Jan 28, 2020
UPnP is just a automated method of putting in port forwarding rules. You have to be careful about what a game calls ping and something you get with a actual ping command. It makes no sense that UPnP would have any effect on latency. Latency is caused by data being held in a buffer someplace...or distance when things are working well. For UPnP to cause a issue the router itself would have to be holding data.

Not sure it maybe some strangeness in how the games run. Way to many games on the market and I play none that require any form of UPnP or port forwarding.

Actual network issue you would see with a actual ping command to some IP like 8.8.8.8. You could check with ping and tracert commands to various IP addresses related to the different game servers and see if anything stands out.

Hop 1 in a tracert is your pc and router, Hop2 generally is the connection from your house to the ISP. Issues past this are in the ISP network or other ISP. Generally it is going to be very hard to get anything fixed that is not in the first 2 hops.
Well the game seems to have some issues with either forwarding and UPnP. Just checked them with a friend of mine. That's really strange though. I think I need to stick with the game as is until Ubisoft try to fix this, if it's an issue.
And you said about tracert, 1st and 2nd hop are same like you said, but the 3rd hop seems to have this error "Request timed out" on any domain I try to trace with. I hope its normal?

If it always timesout it is just configured to not respond. You many times get a single hop in the path that drops traffic or has long delays but not others. That just means it is a abnormality. Many routers are designed to only respond to a certain amount of test traffic to prevent denial of service attacks against them.

Many times so called network issues in games turn out to be something like a video driver setting. The games are too busy doing something else and just blame the network rather than blame that they didn't bother to check if they got a response back to a ping or however they calculate the delays.

Although it only sometimes works you might consider one of the gaming VPN services. If your ISP has a poor path to the game server but a good path to the vpn provider you "might" get better ping times. This tends to work better in asia because a lot of the connectivity is undersea fiber unlike the EU or USA.

Solution

Ravz

Prominent
Jan 28, 2020
I did a DNSBench including the DNS provided by my ISP, the top 2 DNS after the benchmark were the one from ISP and the Cloudflare. So I replaced these DNS over Google ones. It fixed the hop issue I stated in the previous post and to my surprise my ping in the game has dropped to about 25-30ms. So I think that was the issue.

Although it only sometimes works you might consider one of the gaming VPN services. If your ISP has a poor path to the game server but a good path to the vpn provider you "might" get better ping times. This tends to work better in asia because a lot of the connectivity is undersea fiber unlike the EU or USA.
Yes I borrowed Antilag VPN from my friend and it did bring down the pings a little bit, but I think that VPN is too expensive for what they offer.

TRENDING THREADS