Port forwarding closed after options

Feb 2, 2019
I have a router that's connected to a modem which is then connected to my PC, I have put in the proper ports but canyouseeme.org still registers theses ports as closed. I have enabled static IP for my computer in my PC settings and my router. Also have tried adding exceptions for windows firewall. Now my firewall on my router and my PC are totally disabled and the port still remains closed. I've attached some pictures which might help.

https://imgur.com/a/4WUXOV3
https://imgur.com/a/dBJTu8v

4WUXOV3

You need to also open ports in firewall and it has to remain enabled, select in routers for low.
For firewall you need to do inbound/outbound for that, manually application and later on port, which helped me a lot.

I once did set it up, but my dad called them cause phone was ringing for 1s and they totally blocked those port.

You may need to ask your ISP provider if they can give you an hand, mine did not wanted to do that cause "They do not offer that kind of help".

For what do you need if i may ask?

Try the brute force approach first. Put your PC in the DMZ just to test. Since this forwards all ports if it works in DMZ then you know it is something strange with the port forwarding rules. If it still does not work it is more likely a issue with the pc.

Now be very sure the ip you see for the wan in your router is the same as whatsmyip says. If not you do not have a public ip and port forwarding will never work.

When you get desperate and you really want to know if you pc is receiving the scan from canyouseeme you can try wireshark. It is a packet capture so you will know if you get the data even if something on your pc later blocks it. It is a brute force tool since you will have to dig through a lot of data.

Feb 2, 2019
Just tried DMZ mode, put in the IP that is assigned to my system by my router. Did not work, so it might be an issue with the pc.

>Now be very sure the ip you see for the wan in your router is the same as whatsmyip says. If not you do not have a public ip and port forwarding will never work.

It is not, it is set on automatic. Do I need to set it to static and input a subnet mask and default gateway? And would those values be what I see in my ipconfig/all?

You generally can't set a static ip in the wan. Your ISP would have to tell you what it is and most only use static for business. The values you see on your pc are created by your router on the lan. You can not see the wan values on your pc because the router hides them.

The wan ip is set by the ISP. You can do nothing about the value assigned to you. If this ip does not match the whatsmyip there is a ISP router doing nat and you would need to set port forwarding in that router which you can't because the it is in the ISP network

So be very sure the DMZ option is set to the ip used by your PC.

If it still does not appear to work then it has to be the PC or your ISP is blocking the traffic.

In the PC it can be many things. Most times it is people not setting up the game or server correctly.

Unfortunately it is not simple to tell if the pc is getting the traffic and not responding or it is not getting it at all. The only way I know to do that is to run wireshark. It collects massive amounts of data but the port scan that comes in from canyouseeme tends to stand out. Try to have a little as possible running on the machine when you are running wireshark.

Feb 2, 2019
Yes DMZ option was set to the IP that was assigned to my pc through my router.

I set it up "normally', its a blizzard game, just downloaded it through the launcher, didn't tinker with any net settings. Might be the ISP.

I'll try wire shark

Wireshark takes a long time to actually be skilled with. You hope to see something that stands out when you just start out.

What you will see is a bunch of data coming from a external ip that the canyouseme site is using to scan from.

You should see a bunch of SYN packets and in most cases you pc ignoring them or sending RST.

It could also be UDP scan packets also.

You can see traffic from the 103.10.124.40 which I am guessing is the steam server or you have a game running. You can see the traffic going to port 59781. A scan should have a bunch of different ports.

Wireshark intercepts the traffic before the firewall or anything else on you machine. If you do not see the data even after repeated attempt to scan it may be being blocked by your ISP. Maybe try a different port scanning site and see if you see data from that one.

Feb 2, 2019
To my understanding, I was recommended to use wire shark to see where the packets actually "go" to instead of the supposedly opened ports, I'm having difficulty finding that value that from the data table in wire shark, is there anything I should be looking out for?

Look at the entry in your sample for 103.10.124.40. You will see the port numbers on the left part of the screen with a arrow. You will notice that when the traffic is going the other way ...ie 103.10.124.40 is the destination ip the ports are reversed.

If you actually port scan the machine from the internet you should see a bunch of traffic coming from a single ip going to lots of different ports.

Although there are filter options to only display the data you are looking for it tend to be simpler for a beginner to just brute force scroll through the capture. If you were going to use wireshark for more it is worth learning all the filters.