Port forwarding doesn't seem to be working

mcas19

Reputable
Jun 8, 2018
I'm trying to set up an ARK SURVIVAL server and I think I'm having some forwarding issues. I downloaded a program called Simple Port Forwarding and enabled all the appropriate ports on my router (Netgear WNDR4300). The program says they're open, but if I use a web-based checker, they all say they're closed. Anyone have a possible solution?

The online checkers try to connect to your server via the port you input. If the server is not running properly or gives an unexpected response, then the online checker can give a false negative. My preference is to check first from a computer on your network to ensure your server is working and then check from a computer or device outside your network (phones work great if a mobile version is available) to test the port forwarding.

mcas19

Reputable
Jun 8, 2018

I tried checking the ARK server list and it doesn't show up. It does show up under the Lan list though, which is why i think it's a forwarding issue. Can I check with another computer on the network if it's not listed in their servers?

I assume you saw it on the LAN list from the same computer that is running the server. It sounds like the server is running fine. If you have another computer on your network running ARK, it should also see it on the LAN list (OK, I am doing a bit of assuming since I have never run an ARK server, but I assume it behaves in the usual way). If not, then you might have a firewall (windows firewall?) running on the computer with the server and it is stopping the connection. You might find more information about that here:

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Dedicated_Server_Setup#Windows_.28Firewall_and_Allow_Rules.29

If you are seeing it on the LAN list on another computer on your network, but not on the ARK server list, then it is likely something is wrong with your port forwarding ... in that case, tell us more about your setup, including model numbers of all the routers and/or modems you have, WiFi or Ethernet, etc.

mcas19

Reputable
Jun 8, 2018

The only problem with that is i don't have another computer to try it on. I only have a really old laptop that doesn't even have enough storage to hold the game

My bad ... I tend to assume everyone has 4-5 computers running in their house. I need to stop assuming.

Are you running windows 10? Is the guide above for the correct version of the game? Do you have any other security software that might include a firewall (Norton, Panda, AVG, ESET, etc)? If you answered yes, yes, no, then I would add the rules in the guide and retest.

After that, we would start looking at other potential issues ... Are you using wireless internet (not WiFi .. like 4G from AT&T or something)? Is there an ISP modem before your Netgear box (you may need to port forward through both or something)?