Question Port forwarding for my minecraft server not working.

Sep 26, 2020
I have previously been able to forward ports for minecraft servers but for some reason it is not working now. I have read quite a few threads on this website and none of the soloutions have worked

Heres some more info:
I have a windows 10 PC and my ISP is TPG

This is what it looks like in my router's (Archer VR1600v v2) settings page: View: https://imgur.com/1Tlol8l

My public IP address on sites such as whatsmyip matches the one in my router's status page

My ISP changes my public IP address every time i restart my router, however, this has not been an issue in the past

I have assigned a static private IP to my computer

Use the DMZ option instead to test. Port forwarding rules are not real clear sometimes.

Make sure the minecraft server software is actually using the port you think. You should see it on the network tab listen.

After this it is either the traffic never gets through the router or your pc gets it and does not respond correctly.

I would load wireshark and then run a scan. You should see the incoming traffic. Be careful not to run too much other stuff the capture will get too much data. You of course can learn to build a filter but you should see the traffic without if there is not a lot.

If you do not get the traffic then you suspect the router. If you do see the traffic on wireshark then maybe the firewall is blocking (wireshark sits before the firewall) or maybe the application program has some issue.

Sep 26, 2020
Use the DMZ option instead to test. Port forwarding rules are not real clear sometimes.

Make sure the minecraft server software is actually using the port you think. You should see it on the network tab listen.

After this it is either the traffic never gets through the router or your pc gets it and does not respond correctly.

I would load wireshark and then run a scan. You should see the incoming traffic. Be careful not to run too much other stuff the capture will get too much data. You of course can learn to build a filter but you should see the traffic without if there is not a lot.

If you do not get the traffic then you suspect the router. If you do see the traffic on wireshark then maybe the firewall is blocking (wireshark sits before the firewall) or maybe the application program has some issue.
Thank you for the help
I ran the same minecraft server on linux and it worked with no issues, in response to this I tried running the server on windows with the firewall disabled but it still didn't work.

TRENDING THREADS