[SOLVED] Port Forwarding for remote desktop on Huawei

Nov 13, 2021
I have a server at home with ip address 192.168.100.10 and my gateway is 192.168.100.1

i want to access this server from outside my home and the laptop i am using has ip address: 192.168.156.135

i has also a Huawei router HG8245H. I know we can do it with port forwarding. Can you please help?

Solution
You have all kinds of addresses but the most important one is going to be the WAN ip you see on your huawei router.

This should be your public IP. It the address you are going to use to access your machine remotely. The first thing to check is that the ip you see on the wan screen matches sites like whatsmyip. If it does not you do not have a public IP and portforwarding will not work. You would need to contact the ISP in that case and see if they have the ability to give/sell you a public IP.

I would first start using the DMZ option in your router. You would put in the 192.168.100.10 ip address. This tends to be the simplest to get correct and lets you test and make sure everything else related to remote access...
You have all kinds of addresses but the most important one is going to be the WAN ip you see on your huawei router.

This should be your public IP. It the address you are going to use to access your machine remotely. The first thing to check is that the ip you see on the wan screen matches sites like whatsmyip. If it does not you do not have a public IP and portforwarding will not work. You would need to contact the ISP in that case and see if they have the ability to give/sell you a public IP.

I would first start using the DMZ option in your router. You would put in the 192.168.100.10 ip address. This tends to be the simplest to get correct and lets you test and make sure everything else related to remote access functions. You don't really want to run DMZ long term because it allows all port to go to your machine but it is a good way to get started.

After this I can't say exactly. Router manufactures have very different and sometime very confusing screens to configure port forwarding. All I can recommend is you read the manual or maybe see if there are youtube videos. I think RDP uses port 3389 but you need to verify this because I maybe remember wrong.

Solution
Nov 13, 2021

I would first start using the DMZ option in your router. You would put in the 192.168.100.10 ip address. This tends to be the simplest to get correct and lets you test and make sure everything else related to remote access functions. You don't really want to run DMZ long term because it allows all port to go to your machine but it is a good way to get started.

After this I can't say exactly. Router manufactures have very different and sometime very confusing screens to configure port forwarding. All I can recommend is you read the manual or maybe see if there are youtube videos. I think RDP uses port 3389 but you need to verify this because I maybe remember wrong.

My question is how to do it? Step by Step

Public ip address on the net is the same address as in the wan router....