Question Port Forwarding Issue with Home Hub 3000

Nov 7, 2020
Hello.

So recently, I tried using Port Forwarding as a way to set up a BDS (Bedrock Dedicated Server). I been to many websites, forms, reddits and I have no solution. Below is an image of what my Port Forwarding looks like on the modem: https://prnt.sc/vf7sep.

I used canyouseeme.org to check if the port is open, and it said "Connection Refused" . This picture (https://prnt.sc/vf7teg) shows my server being set up and running on the listed ports. When I used the command "netstat -a -n" it didn't show my port was being listened.

Originally it said "Connection Timed Out", however when I disable my firewall it said "Connection refused".

I tried many different ports. I tried 19132, 19133, 25565, 42003, 42010, etc.

When I go to my Minecraft client & run: 127.0.0.1:42003 and 192.168.2.137:42003, it works (the second one being the machine in which i ran the server from).

Can anyone help?

Assuming that the ip address that you port forward to is 192.168.2.137 it looks correct. You could try the dmz mode maybe there is something strange about how you put the rules in. DMZ is more simplistic so maybe that will work.

When you are sure you have the port forarding rules correct and you are sure you have the program actually listening on the port that leaves the last very common problem....do you actually have a public IP address.

You can lookup what is private/public but it is simpler to just compare the IP that is assigned to the wan port of your router to a site like whatsmyip. If these IP are different then you do not have a public IP and port forwarding will never work. Where exactly you see the ip on your WAN varies a lot from router to router but almost all have it.

Nov 7, 2020
Assuming that the ip address that you port forward to is 192.168.2.137 it looks correct. You could try the dmz mode maybe there is something strange about how you put the rules in. DMZ is more simplistic so maybe that will work.

When you are sure you have the port forarding rules correct and you are sure you have the program actually listening on the port that leaves the last very common problem....do you actually have a public IP address.

You can lookup what is private/public but it is simpler to just compare the IP that is assigned to the wan port of your router to a site like whatsmyip. If these IP are different then you do not have a public IP and port forwarding will never work. Where exactly you see the ip on your WAN varies a lot from router to router but almost all have it.
I checked and I do have a public ip address (see at the bottom of the url)
Now that I'm in the DMZ section, do I select advanced DMZ or just proceed activating this PC in DMZ?

https://prnt.sc/vfhgeh
EDIT:
It still didn't work when I enabled DMZ for my PC

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020

Also one other strange thing. Once I entered port 5000 on canyouseeme.org, it gave me a "No route to host to" error instead of the others. Why is this?

Try this link it should give you information about your IP address.

This site will actually show you how your ISP is connected to other ISP but the main screen should come up as your ISP as the owner of the IP.

Not sure why you would get a no route to host. Make sure there is no typo in the address.

Your port forward issue is going to be hard now. You either are not actually getting the traffic or you are getting it and your server is not responding. I would load wireshark on the server. You have to be somewhat careful to keep your traffic down so you do not have massive amounts of data to go through. There are filters but generally you should be able to see the traffic coming into the port just by manually looking through a capture. It should be even more obvious if you tell the port scanner to scan a large range of ports. Most of course will not respond but if you have DMZ set your server should still receive all these requests.

It is unlikely the ISP is filtering ports and the router should forward things correctly especially if you are using DMZ

Nov 7, 2020
Try this link it should give you information about your IP address.

This site will actually show you how your ISP is connected to other ISP but the main screen should come up as your ISP as the owner of the IP.

Not sure why you would get a no route to host. Make sure there is no typo in the address.

Your port forward issue is going to be hard now. You either are not actually getting the traffic or you are getting it and your server is not responding. I would load wireshark on the server. You have to be somewhat careful to keep your traffic down so you do not have massive amounts of data to go through. There are filters but generally you should be able to see the traffic coming into the port just by manually looking through a capture. It should be even more obvious if you tell the port scanner to scan a large range of ports. Most of course will not respond but if you have DMZ set your server should still receive all these requests.

It is unlikely the ISP is filtering ports and the router should forward things correctly especially if you are using DMZ
Im sorry. The only reason it said "No route to host to" was because the laptop that had the local IP address of that port was offline. When I turned the laptop back on and checked port 5000, it give me a "Connection Refused" error.
Also I'm not the most technical guy, so can you explain what (may) be the issue?

Nov 7, 2020
Connection refused generally means the server actively closed the session. So the server actually got the data but then send a message closing it.
Does that mean that the Bedrock Dedicated Sever (BDS) is saying no to any data it receives? According to google:
  • Nothing is listening on the IP/port you are trying to connect to.
  • The port is blocked by a firewall
I disabled the firewall and it went from connection timed out to connection refused.
I used the command "telnet 192.168.2.137 42003" and it said nothing was listening on that port. I dont know how to go from here.

This is where watching wireshark is very educational. Problems like this you really need to understand you data communication is being done at a very low level.

What is being done is the device is sending out a intial SYN packet. When you have a firewall or nothing listening on the port it gets no response at all. When it is refused the server is actually sending back a RST packet.

When it is actually open you get a SYN-ACK packet back.

Telnet to some port may or may not give good information. If you were to watch it with wiresshark you might get the SYN...SYN/ACK...ACK three way message stream that means a port is open. But if the port is not actually running telnet you will many times see a RST packet from either end. This happens so fast the telnet will fail and you won't really know if there was no response, it got rejected or it failed because of a application issue.

This has to be some form of server issue especially when it does it on local ip addresses.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS