[SOLVED] Port forwarding not opening ports

araltan

Reputable
Jan 18, 2017
Recently I decided to forward some port so I could host servers while playing with some of my friends but whatever I did I could not get the ports to open. The modem says the ports should be open as everything is configured properly afaik but they somehow aren't; I updated my modems firmware to the latest, added rules in firewall, contacted my ISP to see if the problem was on their end (which apparently wasn't), etc but to no avail. Every port checker I've tried said the ports were closed. I would appreciate any help.

Also I use an Asus DSL-AC55U modem, with a static public IP.

Last edited:
Solution
I didn't want to necro but I found the problem and I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that helped me in this thread. It was apparently a hardware problem and I had my DSL modem replaced, everything works as they should right now. I'll be closing the question.

Ralston18

Titan
What games are you trying to host? What ports need to be open(ed)?

Does the following link provide the User Manual for your modem?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/DSL-AC55U/E11623_DSL_AC55U_Manual.pdf

If so, port forwarding is presented on physically numbered Page 66 (Section 4.3.4).

Note the references to "Port Triggering" on Pages 64 and 68.

Double check the current port configuration settings.

DMZ configuration?

araltan

Reputable
Jan 18, 2017
Yes, the manual does correspond to my modem, I already have a copy of the pdf doc on my pc. So when I couldn't get game ports to open I decided to test if I could open any ports at all and tried opening the port 11000 (a random port) but it didn't work in the end. My pc uses a static local ip which is 192.168.1.35 set through both router and the ethernet adapter. IP is in the DHCP range of 10-180. Port configurations are correct, I will attach a screenshot of the config page. DMZ is turned off for all IPs.

pn32jbRwp

araltan

Reputable
Jan 18, 2017
Hmm, alright so I enabled and directed DMZ connection to my pc as you suggested. Which should have opened all the ports but it seems otherwise. The ports I tried weren't open, I also tried commons ports such as 80, 20, 143 but none of them were open except for 443 which my modem might be using for remote access(not sure, could be something else).

Ralston18

Titan
Regarding "something else going on".... per @SamirD

The following may be a bit tedious but may prove helpful with respect to seeing what your pc is seeing.

Try the two following Powershell commands to gather more information:

1)

Get-NetTCPConnection

Provides information include ports and status.

2)

Get-NetFirewallRule

Provides details about firewall rules. Likely to be a lengthy output.

In both cases, you should able to scroll through to pick out more relevant results.

That process can be automated to some extent.

For example:

Get-NetTCPConnection -LocalAddress '*107' | Select-Object

Where my pc's network address is 192.168.1.107

As shown by the *107 in single quotes.

You would use *35 where your pc is 192.168.1.35

What gaming website(s) are you working with? What ports are to be forwarded?

I consider myself a Powershell beginner; however, I believe the Get- results can be further filtered down.

Reactions: SamirD
You have to be careful about scanning random port numbers. In addition to the port being forwarded or dmz in the router you must actually have a program that is active on the port and will respond to the scanner.

Can you connect to the game port on the local lan using the port number.

araltan

Reputable
Jan 18, 2017
I thought I had posted my reply, apparently not. I feel really dumb. I did what @Ralston18 said and I got a bunch of IPs all connected through different ports (most of them being 443), but none of them are the ports I was trying to open (I could send the list if it contains any useful information other than that). I'm not working with any gaming websites the actual port I was trying to open was 25565 which Minecraft uses.
We wanted to play some with my friends for old time's sake but the situation doesn't look so bright, also @bill001g the ports show up as closed even when the minecraft server is running and using the port but I didn't quite understand what you meant with connecting to game port on the local LAN. I can connect to my own server without using ports anyway.

You do not want to connect to the server from the same machine. Not sure how you have this setup. You would want to take say a laptop on your internal network and attempt to open the server using the local lan IP. I would think the minecraft game does not have special local lan method of accessing the server.......but I never setup minecraft servers so I don't know the details.

araltan

Reputable
Jan 18, 2017
I didn't want to necro but I found the problem and I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that helped me in this thread. It was apparently a hardware problem and I had my DSL modem replaced, everything works as they should right now. I'll be closing the question.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution