[SOLVED] Port forwarding not working for minecraft server

Sep 13, 2020
I haven't been able to connect to my minecraft server outside of the same network. I set up a static ip for the computer running the server. I verified the static ip with command prompt. I can join using the static ip from another computer. I disabled firewall for java in control panel. I updated my router and set NAT filtering to open. My minecraft server properties have the server-ip set as blank. I've triple checked that I was port forwarding correctly.

All the port checker websites I tried said 25565 isn't open.
The simple port checker from majorgeeks.com said it's not open.

I've been testing the server with a mobile hotspot that can join other servers.

My router is the Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000
It doesn't have Netgear armor
My modem is XFinity
I use windows 10

Last edited:
Solution
The most common reason we see people have issues that seem to have port forwarding setup correctly is that they do not have a public IP address.

Most routers have some form of status page that will show you the IP address that is assigned to your wan port. This IP must be public. The easiest way to check this is see if this IP is the same as ones you see on sites like whatsmyip. If they are different there is a router in the path doing NAT and you will never get port forwarding to run.

If this seems ok try to use the DMZ option on the router. Port forwarding rules can be confusing on many routers where DMZ all you need is the IP of you server. DMZ is not a good choice for long term but will get it working until you...
The most common reason we see people have issues that seem to have port forwarding setup correctly is that they do not have a public IP address.

Most routers have some form of status page that will show you the IP address that is assigned to your wan port. This IP must be public. The easiest way to check this is see if this IP is the same as ones you see on sites like whatsmyip. If they are different there is a router in the path doing NAT and you will never get port forwarding to run.

If this seems ok try to use the DMZ option on the router. Port forwarding rules can be confusing on many routers where DMZ all you need is the IP of you server. DMZ is not a good choice for long term but will get it working until you figure out how to get port forwarding rules.

Solution
Sep 13, 2020

If this seems ok try to use the DMZ option on the router. Port forwarding rules can be confusing on many routers where DMZ all you need is the IP of you server. DMZ is not a good choice for long term but will get it working until you figure out how to get port forwarding rules.
I tried tracert and I seem to have CG NAT. Thanks for the help.

TRENDING THREADS