Question Port forwarding not working, what to do?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 13, 2024
I have finnish named provaider named "DNA", so I haven't found information about port forwarding. Even the fact that there is no tutorials in internet I still tried to do it. I have tried everything that is free but nothing seems to work. I would like to have help

Solution
The major reason you do not have a public IP is the ISP must pay a lot of money to get them. All the IP were given out many years ago and now companies hoard them.

You might find a so called free vpn service but they are not going to be able to give you a dedicated public IP. The vpn company can not afford to give you that for free. Most of so called free ones are dishonest to begin with. They either have extremely low data caps trying to get you to pay for service or they do stuff like inject advertising. Really bad one a few years ago ran bit coin miners on people machines.

Now there are some vpn companies that will give you a "port" on one of their ip addresses. It will not be the common minecraft server port but...
>>>>>>>>>>>>>you posted a update as I was typing this so it may not apply but since you have eliminated all the possibilies you need to recheck things.

So looking at the fine print on your screen captures it seem you have a zowee router. This comes up as a cellular 5G router.
This means it is highly likely you do not have a public IP.

So we go back to step 1. Can't say for sure but I suspect it will be under the router tab or maybe the system tab. Try to find the wan IP address......do not post it here in case it is public. The IP you see here must match the whatsmyip site. If they are different then you likely have a private ip and the ISP is running carrier nat.

In general if you do not have a public IP your best option is to lease a server from some data center. Many offer various game server all ready configured. The only other option would be to see if the ISP offers a public ip, most charge extra if they do. You might also consider a VPN that gives you a fixed IP or you could run your own vpn server. Almost all these options are more expensive than just leasing a game server directly.

Apr 13, 2024
>>>>>>>>>>>>>you posted a update as I was typing this so it may not apply but since you have eliminated all the possibilies you need to recheck things.

So looking at the fine print on your screen captures it seem you have a zowee router. This comes up as a cellular 5G router.
This means it is highly likely you do not have a public IP.

So we go back to step 1. Can't say for sure but I suspect it will be under the router tab or maybe the system tab. Try to find the wan IP address......do not post it here in case it is public. The IP you see here must match the whatsmyip site. If they are different then you likely have a private ip and the ISP is running carrier nat.

In general if you do not have a public IP your best option is to lease a server from some data center. Many offer various game server all ready configured. The only other option would be to see if the ISP offers a public ip, most charge extra if they do. You might also consider a VPN that gives you a fixed IP or you could run your own vpn server. Almost all these options are more expensive than just leasing a game server directly.
There is only "Broadband WAN IP address" and it's "Unknown"

Apr 13, 2024
Have you successfully connected to your server from another host on your LAN ?
I only tested it on my computer and asked my friends to test on theirs(they are not part of LAN). I could join on own computer and friends can't on theirs. I don't have access to other computer in my LAN so I haven't tried

The major reason you do not have a public IP is the ISP must pay a lot of money to get them. All the IP were given out many years ago and now companies hoard them.

You might find a so called free vpn service but they are not going to be able to give you a dedicated public IP. The vpn company can not afford to give you that for free. Most of so called free ones are dishonest to begin with. They either have extremely low data caps trying to get you to pay for service or they do stuff like inject advertising. Really bad one a few years ago ran bit coin miners on people machines.

Now there are some vpn companies that will give you a "port" on one of their ip addresses. It will not be the common minecraft server port but the ip and port will not change so you can technically make it work. The vpn company that I remember that offered this was a paid service though. It was cheaper than having a full ip address and all the ports dedicated to you.

In the end if you do not have a public IP there is no free way you are going to be able to run a server.

Reactions: PEnns
Solution
Hamachi is just another kind of server. You have the same problem just different ports you need to forward. You still do not have the public IP.

Now if you had a friend with a public IP everyone could connect to them with vpn and access your server via their internet connection. It almost appears as if you shipped your server to their house. This would be a extremely messy way to do this.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
I don't play game but see if Radmin VPN works with 5G network.

After installation you will get an IP address. Free and no need to do port forwarding (well, I guess)

Create a network yourself or join existing one, make sure you use a strong password.

Also be sure you are running firewall and antivirus all the time to protect yourself.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024
Hamachi is just another kind of server. You have the same problem just different ports you need to forward. You still do not have the public IP.

Now if you had a friend with a public IP everyone could connect to them with vpn and access your server via their internet connection. It almost appears as if you shipped your server to their house. This would be a extremely messy way to do this.
Thank you all for help! Maybe I then just use aternos

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Hamachi is vpn, not server. Free for up to 5 devices. Of course if a device runs a service or acts as server, then it becomes a server.

https://support.logmeininc.com/cent...hamachi-client-central-c-hamachi-aboutclients
Every Hamachi client has one virtual IPv4 (IP) address in the 25. x.x.x range and one IPv6 address. The virtual IP address is globally unique and is used to access the client from any other Hamachi network with at least one common mesh or hub-and-spoke network.

There are a lot of different types of free VPN that let you create a virtual LAN => OpenVPN, Wireguard, ZeroTier (25 devices), Tailscale (15 devices), and Hamachi (5 devices), Radmin VPN, or even SoftEther.

*** I have no IPv6 experience though. ***

Last edited:
The problem with any kind of vpn is every person who want to play on your server needs to load it. Not always the best idea when you don't really know the people because they get access to more than just your game server and many times all the client also get access to each others network. Very insecure unless you know what you are doing.

Works ok for application where you control all the machines or you want remote access to your home network.

In addition the game needs to be compatible. Many times these vpn are programs you load on the same machine. I don't know if minecraft server runs on windows but many of the vpn programs only support windows installs so if the server is linux based it won't work.