Question Port forwarding not working.

grizzlybear0

Prominent
Feb 3, 2018
Port forward not working.

I have tried everything firewall/dmz port forwarded everything and messed a bit to try and find the problem in the router website but nothing seems to be working.

And yes i tried listening to the port before checking if the port is open but it ain't.

I had this issue before where it took a few hours and multiple calls to my company for them to fix it which they did after so many calls but it stopped working now idk why and i can't be bothered to spend hours again for them to do it without me knowing how/why

so here i am wanting to fix it by my self and learn.

1. Dsl-G256dg

image-png-d0fd4d7535a45c8fd7fc349b4ec61076.png

[It's done correctly but idk why it wont open][It's also added in my firewall and listened to the port and even tried disabling the fire wall nothing works. no other softwares that could prevent the port]
I'm 99% certain it's an issue from the website it self a related setting to it but i'm not experienced so here i am.

3. 0 programs i just wish to port forward the port 27015 for my game server. and yes i'm sure.

image-png-4044b9fb345fd0e9016b6a98a930b478.png

5.Using a listening software and checking with multiple websites if the port is open.[I been down this road before as i said in the topic where i called the company directly where i had multiple people not know shit and eventually one did and they did something which idk why that opened the port]

6.if you're talking about my pc then yes. now i'm just guessing but it has to be something in the router website.

Here's a random pic of the website.
image-png-916ce18e05592813519004315f54fbe9.png

Very non standard IP address assignment...it will work but it will cause confusion since most example the router is the lowest address.

So first issue do you have a public IP address, the router generally has someplace it will show you the IP address assigned to your wan port by the ISP. You need to compare this to sites like whatsmyip. If these are different you do not have a public IP.

Does the router have a DMZ option. Maybe there is a bug in the port forwarding rules or maybe it takes a strange configuration.

After this you need to see if the pc is getting the traffic and not responding or it is not getting the traffic at all. Although complex to learn the best option is to load wireshark on the machine so you can see all the traffic coming and going from the machine. You want to run as little other traffic as you can during this time to reduce the amount of crap you have to search through. There are filters but for beginners brute force look through the capture tends to be the best approach.

grizzlybear0

Prominent
Feb 3, 2018
Very non standard IP address assignment...it will work but it will cause confusion since most example the router is the lowest address.

So first issue do you have a public IP address, the router generally has someplace it will show you the IP address assigned to your wan port by the ISP. You need to compare this to sites like whatsmyip. If these are different you do not have a public IP.

Does the router have a DMZ option. Maybe there is a bug in the port forwarding rules or maybe it takes a strange configuration.

After this you need to see if the pc is getting the traffic and not responding or it is not getting the traffic at all. Although complex to learn the best option is to load wireshark on the machine so you can see all the traffic coming and going from the machine. You want to run as little other traffic as you can during this time to reduce the amount of crap you have to search through. There are filters but for beginners brute force look through the capture tends to be the best approach.
Only websites/google etc shows my public ip address. typing ipconfig doesn't.

And yes it does have a dmz option except i would have to remove my VDSL cable to access the routers website because it has protection installed and because of this my public ip changes everytime.

Not trying the last step because i'm certain it's an issue related within the router website settings because i had this happen to me before where the company directly accessed the router website and idk what they did.
and by sure i mean 100%%%%%%

peters43gone

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
Port forward not working.

I have tried everything firewall/dmz port forwarded everything and messed a bit to try and find the problem in the router website but nothing seems to be working.

And yes i tried listening to the port before checking if the port is open but it ain't.

I had this issue before where it took a few hours and multiple calls to my company for them to fix it which they did after so many calls but it stopped working now idk why and i can't be bothered to spend hours again for them to do it without me knowing how/why

so here i am wanting to fix it by my self and learn.

1. Dsl-G256dg

image-png-d0fd4d7535a45c8fd7fc349b4ec61076.png

[It's done correctly but idk why it wont open][It's also added in my firewall and listened to the port and even tried disabling the fire wall nothing works. no other softwares that could prevent the port]
I'm 99% certain it's an issue from the website it self a related setting to it but i'm not experienced so here i am.

3. 0 programs i just wish to port forward the port 27015 for my game server. and yes i'm sure.

image-png-4044b9fb345fd0e9016b6a98a930b478.png

5.Using a listening software and checking with multiple websites if the port is open.[I been down this road before as i said in the topic where the Adapter is off and i called the company directly where i had multiple people not know D-link Wireless Router shit and eventually one did and they did something which idk why that opened the port]
6.if you're talking about my pc then yes. now i'm just guessing but it has to be something in the router website.

Here's a random pic of the website.
image-png-916ce18e05592813519004315f54fbe9.png
I had port forwarding issues with my older D-link router. DMZ was working but I didn't use that because of my security concerns. Technical support asked me to update the firmware. Port forwarding worked fine after the the firmware update.

grizzlybear0

Prominent
Feb 3, 2018
I had port forwarding issues with my older D-link router. DMZ was working but I didn't use that because of my security concerns. Technical support asked me to update the firmware. Port forwarding worked fine after the the firmware update.
I can't find any firmware update for my router any chance u can?

peters43gone

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
I can't find any firmware update for my router any chance u can?
It was under Tools (in the topmost menu on the D-Link web page) in my router. After seeing your screenshot, I think you should check under the tab "maintenance" from the top menu. There you will see a browse file button under system settings/firmware (the name changes in different Graphical User Interfaces).

You can download the latest firmware for your router from the d-link website using your model number.