[SOLVED] Port forwarding not working

nicknew

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
I'm trying to port forward for a minecraft server

I've turned off my firewall, single port forwarded 25565 to 25565 on my linksys access page, and since that didn't work I put my computers mac address as dmz, testing with a computer and friend from another state and none of these combinations worked.

I ran tracert and realized I had two routers (modem/router combo) and figured it was a double nat error so I put the modem in bridge mode and can no longer access the arris page which I think is intended.
I ran tracert to make sure that the problem was solved
tried rerunning tracert and got this 1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms #networkname#[192.168.1.1]

My friend can't sit there for hours understandably so I've been using https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ to test it

2 13 ms 14 ms 21 ms 10.45.0.1

3 * * * Request timed out.

4 15 ms * 22 ms 172.17.128.25

I've been restarting the server between every step and only tested ports while it is running

I even tried setting the server up remotely at another friends house and it worked in about 20 minutes so I believe something isn't standard

Any and all help is appreciated very much, I'm at my wits end.

Solution
The IP address is provided by your ISP. There is nothing you can change that will have any effect on this. You need to call them and see if they offer public IP addresses. Some the design of their network prevents it, some you have to pay extra, and some will give you it just for asking since there is a shortage and it is wasteful if you don't actually need it.

nicknew

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
Are you sure you have a public IP address. All the ip you show in your tracert are private.

If the ip that shows in your router for the wan ip is not the same as sites like whatsmyip you likely do not have a public ip.
I am not sure, I have a linksys router and it says my "internet adress" for ipv4 is not the same as whatsmyip, what can I do to fix this?

The IP address is provided by your ISP. There is nothing you can change that will have any effect on this. You need to call them and see if they offer public IP addresses. Some the design of their network prevents it, some you have to pay extra, and some will give you it just for asking since there is a shortage and it is wasteful if you don't actually need it.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS