Port forwarding on Asus RT-AC66U not working [SOLVED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poncke

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2016
To start this off I'm only a little network savvy. I'm trying to open port 5000 and 5001 for my Synology NAS but in order to access it externally I need to forward a couple ports, but I can't get any of them open. Getting ports to open has always been a problem for this router and might I have done something wrong but I had it working before.

Firmware ver 3.0.0.4.382_50470-g033b865, I have the firewall turned off, upnp turned on, and NAT passthrough turned on, DMZ disabled. From the reading I've done, people had set all of these to get it working but still no hope for me. Last resort looks like a factory reset which people have said makes them work for a few months then you need to reset again. I did a factory reset and also no result.

I also checked for Linux firmware for this router at https://dd-wrt.com/ but there is no firmware for this model.

It has worked before and it now I cannot get it to work.

Any other advice would be great.

Solution

Your Asus should not be getting a 192.168.x.x address on the WAN side unless you have another NAT device ahead of it. I don't believe the powerline kit is capable of assigning IP addresses, so I'm curious if your modem is not actually a modem-router combo.

What is the make and model of the modem? If it has more than one LAN port, it more than likely has a built-in router...

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

Have you checked that the WAN (Internet) address of the Asus matches what you see when you Google "what is my IP address"?

Did you [strike]give [/strike]assign a static IP address to the Synology NAS that is outside the DHCP range of the Asus?

Are you able to access the Synology using the specified ports from within your network?

Are you able to ping your public IP address or URL from outside of your network?

It's possible that your ISP has blocked ports that you are trying to use. You may want to contact your ISP regarding those particular ports, or try to configure your Synology to use a different port.

Poncke

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2016
Hello Buddha,

My WAN IP is different from my IP address. WAN starts with 192.168.x.x and my own IP is entirely different.

I am able to access Synology through 192.168.x.x:5000

I am able to ping my IP address

Ping statistics for xx.xxx.xxx.xx:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 28ms, Maximum = 36ms, Average = 33ms

My ISP doesnt block ports, it has been working fine up to two weeks ago.

I do have a slightly different set up though. I used to have my router connected directly to my modem with a ethernet cable, now its connected using 2 TP-LINK TL-PA7020PKIT V2 2-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline Kit from the modem to the router.

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

Your Asus should not be getting a 192.168.x.x address on the WAN side unless you have another NAT device ahead of it. I don't believe the powerline kit is capable of assigning IP addresses, so I'm curious if your modem is not actually a modem-router combo.

What is the make and model of the modem? If it has more than one LAN port, it more than likely has a built-in router, and that is where the 192.168.x.x address is originating. If your Asus is not the only NAT device on your network, then you need to forward ports from the other device as well.

The common advice for avoiding double-NAT is to configure your Asus as a AP/switch and port forward only from the Internet-facing device.

Solution

Poncke

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2016
Hi Buddha, thanks, I have checked my modem and it turns out was set up as router. Originally I had set it up as modem but because the ISP has made a mistake two weeks ago, it turns out, the connection was set up with an IPv6 address instead of IPv4, which removes the modem setting altogether and reverts the box back to operate as a router. So I have asked the ISP to set met up with an IPv4 and then I have to set up the router as modem again.

I will let you know if that fixed the issue, but I am 99% sure that was the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.