port forwarding on C1900A not working (CenturyLink)

wrightpt

Prominent
May 5, 2017
i am trying to run an application the requires me to communicate with other computers. however it is not working.

I have a dynamic public ip according to CenturyLink.

Ports that i need forwarded are 40102,40103,3282.

Here is what i have tried.

Link to my port forwarding settings: http://pasteall.org/pic/bae12b61bb1e45d840b0cd5c7e7e383b

Operating System: Ubuntu. (also tried Windows)

Modem model: c1900A.

According to the below manual for a very similiar model. I have done everything correctly.

Here is a similar CenturyLink modem on how to do this.
http://www.ports3658.com/2012/11/c1000a-for-centurylink-how-to-port.html

1.) I attached the picture of my setting. The bottom most ip address is my current ip.

2.) Cutting the "NAT" function off causes everything to be disabled so i leave it "enabled". i cant connect to anything when disabled. for example Youtube.com videos just spin with a circle but do not load. there is no error message either.

3.) in Ipv4 setting. Security is low and i have put in a rule for the above ports (40102,40103,3282) to allow traffic in and out.

4.) My Ipv6 firewall has been disabled.

i have tried this both for Ubuntu and Windows with no luck. i have contacted others running the program and they are able to run it fine on these operating systems.

Here is the program if anyone is curious and has a similar modem: https://github.com/golemfactory/golem/wiki/Installation

it is bugging me so bad not knowing what i am doing wrong. i figured port forwarding would be relatively simple. i ran a web server with node. did the port forwarding in a very similiar and it worked wonderfully. pulling up the local host through my LTE connection.

Solution
It's possible ISP is blocking some ports. The traffic might not be making it to your router.
Don't "open" ports on the router or use any weird settings. Just use port forwarding. You only want the proper inbound connections going to the right place.

The Host (game server) needs a static private ip, eg 192.168.1.15
Then on the router the ports required will be forwarded to the above ip.
To connect you need to use the public ip address your isp assigns you and connection port. To find this go to speedtest or something and see what your ip is. Check inside your router to make sure the WAN interface has the same ip. If it's not the ISP has a NAT. Then you have to get them to forward the ports and forward your own ports.
It's possible ISP is blocking some ports. The traffic might not be making it to your router.
Don't "open" ports on the router or use any weird settings. Just use port forwarding. You only want the proper inbound connections going to the right place.

The Host (game server) needs a static private ip, eg 192.168.1.15
Then on the router the ports required will be forwarded to the above ip.
To connect you need to use the public ip address your isp assigns you and connection port. To find this go to speedtest or something and see what your ip is. Check inside your router to make sure the WAN interface has the same ip. If it's not the ISP has a NAT. Then you have to get them to forward the ports and forward your own ports.

Solution

wrightpt

Prominent
May 5, 2017
thanks. i reinstalled all default. Went through an install process through centurylink and magically the ports were open and could be seen from canyouseeme.org. I still have NAT enabled. Many thanks for the input. Hope this helps someone.