[SOLVED] Port Forwarding only works for certain ports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 26, 2020
I'm trying to set up port forwarding on an extra laptop so I can keep a Minecraft server up 24/7. I set up port forwarding on port 3389 to allow remote desktop connection and it works fine, but port 25565 does not work. they are set up exactly the same in my routers settings menu, so I don't know why only one is working. I've allowed port 25565 through my laptop's firewall as well.

I have an Arris DG2460 Touchstone Cable Gateway.

Any Ideas?

Solution
Are you sure the minecraft server application is actually active and using that port.

You can try DMZ instead but I suspect you will see the same problem. If using the dmz instead of port forwarding for both port works then it is something strange with how you setup the port forward.

I have not heard of a ISP block that port. Some do block some of the common microsoft sharing ports to protect stupid people from themselves.

What you could do if you really want to test the ISP is to setup a strange port forward. Port forward the 25565 external port to 3389 internally. The port scanning software should say port 25565 is open. Not sure it would actually work if the application only uses certain ports but it will allow you to...
Are you sure the minecraft server application is actually active and using that port.

You can try DMZ instead but I suspect you will see the same problem. If using the dmz instead of port forwarding for both port works then it is something strange with how you setup the port forward.

I have not heard of a ISP block that port. Some do block some of the common microsoft sharing ports to protect stupid people from themselves.

What you could do if you really want to test the ISP is to setup a strange port forward. Port forward the 25565 external port to 3389 internally. The port scanning software should say port 25565 is open. Not sure it would actually work if the application only uses certain ports but it will allow you to see if the ISP is blocking stuff.

If the hack works it has to be the server in someway, the most common is people forget to actually start the program.

Solution
Dec 26, 2020

What you could do if you really want to test the ISP is to setup a strange port forward. Port forward the 25565 external port to 3389 internally. The port scanning software should say port 25565 is open. Not sure it would actually work if the application only uses certain ports but it will allow you to see if the ISP is blocking stuff.

If the hack works it has to be the server in someway, the most common is people forget to actually start the program.
I've not been testing the connection using the server, just an online port checking tool. I'm gonna call support for my ISP tomorrow and see what they say.

Wacabletech06

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
I'm trying to set up port forwarding on an extra laptop so I can keep a Minecraft server up 24/7. I set up port forwarding on port 3389 to allow remote desktop connection and it works fine, but port 25565 does not work. they are set up exactly the same in my routers settings menu, so I don't know why only one is working. I've allowed port 25565 through my laptop's firewall as well.

I have an Arris DG2460 Touchstone Cable Gateway.

Any Ideas?

Just because a packet makes it to a device, does not mean the device knows what to do with it. The software on the laptop server must be running and set up correctly. If it is not the laptop will simply discard the useless data and thus you will get no connection. This is not an ISP problem yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.