[SOLVED] Port Forwarding problems

Conqube

Prominent
Jan 3, 2021
Yeah you must be annoyed that people are not able to port forward or lazy to contact their ISP
but in my case I have social anxiety so I really want to avoid calling my ISP.

My routers model is TL-MR6400

Everything started from trying to port forward minecraft server, gmod server and now rust
and I followed every tutorial checked every thread that was posted about port forwarding and the most of them didn't help or were out of context
so I just decided to post a thread of my own which I hope will help me.

In Virtual Server I added a new entry with port 28015 as a service and internal port and local ip 192.168.x.xxx
Looks fine I even tried DDNS noip.com but I was unsuccessful to make it connect with my router and also I have tried downloading the client and log in and also was unsuccessful tried all of kind port checkers and there was only 2 answer that port was closed or connection timed out.
I don't know if my ip listens to the port and I don't know how to check it but firewall is on but I have tried adding a rule in inboud as UDP and TCP outbound has setting allowed all by default.

My ip is static nothing has changed tried bruteforce method with wireshark and I didn't understood a single thing, I was overhelmed and I even tried to make sure if my ISP blocked the port I was port forwarding. It might be the case ISP is scamming me. What can I do else? I also have tried ethernet cable and wifi none of them works even after restarting my router.

Solution
What do you mean by static IP....is this on your lan or something from the ISP. What you need is a PUBLIC ip that may or may not be static on the wan port of your router.

The router you list is actually a LTE mobile broadband router. Even though it can run as general purpose router I would assume if you paid extra for LTE support that is why you bought it.

In general mobile broadband does not assign public IP since it primary use is cell phones and they do not run server functions.

So step 1 is check that the IP address assigned to your router wan port is the same as you see on sites like whatsmyip. If they are different you do not have a public IP. Some very limited number of mobile broadband ISP will let you have a...
What do you mean by static IP....is this on your lan or something from the ISP. What you need is a PUBLIC ip that may or may not be static on the wan port of your router.

The router you list is actually a LTE mobile broadband router. Even though it can run as general purpose router I would assume if you paid extra for LTE support that is why you bought it.

In general mobile broadband does not assign public IP since it primary use is cell phones and they do not run server functions.

So step 1 is check that the IP address assigned to your router wan port is the same as you see on sites like whatsmyip. If they are different you do not have a public IP. Some very limited number of mobile broadband ISP will let you have a real public IP address, you would have to call and ask.

If you think you have a public IP then try to use the DMZ option in the router. Port forwarding rules in some routers are tricky to get configured correctly. If this works it is just a matter of figuring out port forwarding, do not leave the DMZ long term it allows people to attack your machine. Since you already have wireshark I would go to the port scanner sites and scan all the ports. This generates a lot of traffic so it should be obvious in wire shark. This is also what hackers do to find ports to attack which is why using dmz long term is not a good idea.

Reactions: Conqube
Solution

Conqube

Prominent
Jan 3, 2021
What do you mean by static IP....is this on your lan or something from the ISP. What you need is a PUBLIC ip that may or may not be static on the wan port of your router....
Thank you very much now I have a better idea on what's going on. Yeah I know that using DMZ is a huge risk and will make me vurnerable when I say static ip I meant lan ip that always changes in other words DHCP.

"general mobile broadband" It makes a lot of sense since I didn't bought the router so I wouldn't know.