Question Port Forwarding Remote Desktop

Aug 31, 2022
Alright First of all, fiberoptics finally came available in my area, and i am having problems with port forwarding.

GigaSpire Blast Model u6.1 GS4220E by Calix

I haven't used port forward in years, just got this internet and trying to setup my Dedicated Server 2022 for remote desktop so I can remote to it from another internet service elsewhere.
the only protocol i have are TCP, UDP and TCP/UDP, ive looked all over on google and it shows Use TCP or RDP, well i dont have the rdp protocol on my router.
anyways I used 3389 port, and it still doesnt work, I tried it for all protocols. tried restarting router still nothing...
Ive also went into the server and Opened ports in firewall, Allowed Edge traversal etc.

So my options in the portforwarding tab are

Local port and IP - Port Start and Port End

Wan Ports - Port start and Port End.
Ill share a screen shots so you can see what im doing.
View: https://imgur.com/a/1Y2xpRN

kanewolf

Titan
Alright First of all, fiberoptics finally came available in my area, and i am having problems with port forwarding.

GigaSpire Blast Model u6.1 GS4220E by Calix

I haven't used port forward in years, just got this internet and trying to setup my Dedicated Server 2022 for remote desktop so I can remote to it from another internet service elsewhere.
the only protocol i have are TCP, UDP and TCP/UDP, ive looked all over on google and it shows Use TCP or RDP, well i dont have the rdp protocol on my router.
anyways I used 3389 port, and it still doesnt work, I tried it for all protocols. tried restarting router still nothing...
Ive also went into the server and Opened ports in firewall, Allowed Edge traversal etc.

So my options in the portforwarding tab are

Local port and IP - Port Start and Port End

Wan Ports - Port start and Port End.
Ill share a screen shots so you can see what im doing.
View: https://imgur.com/a/1Y2xpRN
Have you verified that you have a public IP address on that router?

Can you run remote desktop from a lan connected device using the local IP of the server.
You can check the server by looking in the network tab of resource manager and it will show the processes and what ports they are using.

If this is ok try using the DMZ option on your router temporarily. This will in effect forward all ports.

There really are only 3 things that cause issues for most people.

1. You do not have a public IP and therefore can not use port forwarding.
  2. The application program is not actually up and running on the port you want to use.
  3. The port forwarding rules are wrong, dmz tends to simpler to configure but is high risk long term.
Then you have stuff like the ISP is blocking certain ports. Not sure if they would block remote desktop, many block the simple microsoft file sharing ports since those have no encryption on them.

Remote desktop is not really recommended to run directly over the internet but for a general home user the encryption should be good enough. Like many things faster computers have made hacking stuff easier. Generally it is recommended any form of remote access be done via vpn, but your router would need to support a vpn server function.

Reactions: Falcon6559