Question Port forwarding seems to be set up correctly, but port is still closed.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 26, 2021
I have port-forwarded before, and as far as I can tell, I have it set up correctly. However when I use https://portforward.com 's port checking utility, it is closed. My ip address is static, and I set a new inbound rule in my computer's firewall, but I see no difference. My router is an eero Pro 6, and I am using an unmanaged ethernet switch. Any help would be greatly appreciated! (My router's firmware is up-to-date)

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
I can see the external ip of the other device. There are 3 different lines, 2/3 of them are black with a red font.
If it looks like the port is correct, then you need to check your game server to see if there is anything in the log about a connection.
You could post some screen shots of Wireshark -- wipe the first couple sets of digits from the external IP addresses....

Reactions: icarter
May 26, 2021
This acts like the program is not actually active on that port. This is extremely basic stuff at this point so if the port is actually active it will respond with a ACK packet.

Be very sure that the program is active on that port. If it is check the firewall to ensure it is not blocking it. Wireshark intercepts data before the firewall.

Reactions: icarter
May 26, 2021
This acts like the program is not actually active on that port. This is extremely basic stuff at this point so if the port is actually active it will respond with a ACK packet.

Be very sure that the program is active on that port. If it is check the firewall to ensure it is not blocking it. Wireshark intercepts data before the firewall.
The program is running, and I have created both in-bound and out-bound firewall rules allowing the connection.

May 26, 2021
If I can see the connection attempt through wireshark, but the other device cannot connect, does that mean the problem is the windows firewall on my host system?