[SOLVED] Port forwarding stopped working

Nov 3, 2019
Hi. I made a minecraft server to play with my friends and made a port forwarding rule (from 19130-19134 both TCP/UDP) on my router, after a little bit of troubleshooting and it worked great. after some time i wanted to disable the port forwarding rule so i went ahead and disabled it, i left the router page open and usually when i leave it for 10 minutes the page will become unresponsive so when i went to enable it again i clicked apply and it didn't response so i clicked logout, again, didn't response and closed the page completely and checked for the ports and only the port 19132 was open and was UDP only and the others were closed, i disabled it again and enabled it and it made it even worse, now none of the ports are open, so i think my move broke the whole port forwarding thing, here is the things i tried:
  1. removed the rule and made another one
  2. putting my device in DMZ
  3. disabling firewall
  4. tried making a port forwarding rule on another computer and installed the minecraft server but didn't work
and i checked if i have a public IP address and i have one.
my router is HG8245Q
Any idea what happened?

Solution
Ok so my ISP replace my router every 1-2 years and they replaced it, and tried port forwarding and it worked, so the problem was from the router itself not my computer. anyway thanks for helping.

Ralston18

Titan
Do you have a static IP for the host Minecraft server?

Was that static IP address reserved for the host Minecraft server via the host's MAC?

If the host Minecraft computer's IP address changed then the original port forwarding destination IP no longer applies.

Nov 3, 2019
Do you have a static IP for the host Minecraft server?

Was that static IP address reserved for the host Minecraft server via the host's MAC?

If the host Minecraft computer's IP address changed then the original port forwarding destination IP no longer applies.
Yes i do have a static IPv4 ip but i have a dynamic public ip
What do you mean by
"Was that static IP address reserved for the host Minecraft server via the host's MAC?"

Ralston18

Titan
When a network device (in your case the host Minecraft server) is turned on one of the first things it does is ask for an IP address (which is in the private range).

If the computer is configured to use DHCP then the router will simply provide an IP address within the range of allowed IP addresses. So the computer's IP address can change between sessions.

However in order for your community to always get to the same network device (again that being your host Minecraft server) the server must have a constant, unchanging IP address within your network. So you assign a static IP address to the server and tell the router that that IP address is only for the server. The server is identified via its' MAC which is unique to each network adapter.

So when "Minecraft" traffic arrives, the router uses the port forwarding rules you have established to send the packets to the designated ports on the host computer.

Two links to help you:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-private-ip-address-2625970

https://www.cleverfiles.com/howto/what-is-mac-address.html

However, I have a question in turn: "i have a dynamic public ip"? Is the IP address being provided by your ISP always changing?

What information do you have that leads you to believe that your public IP address is dynamic?

The terminology (public/private) is confusing so that may be getting in the way of things....

Do not publish that public IP address but please add more explanation per the first link above.

Nov 3, 2019
When a network device (in your case the host Minecraft server) is turned on one of the first things it does is ask for an IP address (which is in the private range).

If the computer is configured to use DHCP then the router will simply provide an IP address within the range of allowed IP addresses. So the computer's IP address can change between sessions.

However in order for your community to always get to the same network device (again that being your host Minecraft server) the server must have a constant, unchanging IP address within your network. So you assign a static IP address to the server and tell the router that that IP address is only for the server. The server is identified via its' MAC which is unique to each network adapter.

So when "Minecraft" traffic arrives, the router uses the port forwarding rules you have established to send the packets to the designated ports on the host computer.

Two links to help you:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-private-ip-address-2625970

https://www.cleverfiles.com/howto/what-is-mac-address.html

However, I have a question in turn: "i have a dynamic public ip"? Is the IP address being provided by your ISP always changing?

What information do you have that leads you to believe that your public IP address is dynamic?

The terminology (public/private) is confusing so that may be getting in the way of things....

Do not publish that public IP address but please add more explanation per the first link above.
The private ip address i mean is the one that looks like this 192.168.xxx.xx is static and it didn't change for a long time but the public ip the one that looks like this 46.xxx.xx.xxx is dynamic and changes like every week or something like that.
I am using no-ip and i keep giving them the domain name for safety and make sure they don't know my public ip address and i keep updating it.

Nov 3, 2019
Ok so my ISP replace my router every 1-2 years and they replaced it, and tried port forwarding and it worked, so the problem was from the router itself not my computer. anyway thanks for helping.

Solution