Port forwarding with an Optimum router

Ne0Wolf7

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
I am trying to set up a game server (minecraft) for myself and few others. I have succeded in the past, but that was with a Linksys router, which sadly is no longer with us.
I first set up a static IP adress, then typed my default gateway into my web browser, which redirected me to optimum.net/router, where I signed in.
Once there, I only saw options for basic settings, guest network, file and media sharing, and WPS- nothing along the lines of ports or advanced settings.
Furthermore, any settings it does display are grayed out and unnaccesable to me on my usual PC or any other device.
Is port forwarding impossible on an optimum router?

Ne0Wolf7

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
No such thing, they offer only a 1 page connection guide.
I also tried using the D-link manual, and it turns out the default gateways are different, and you can't use D-link's online configuration tool either.

The Gateway IP is immaterial. As long as you are able to get into the management screen. The ISP of course is gonna provide you minimum doc, they don't want u to change anything, but that shouldn't stop you from Googling for the PDF online, and that will tell you what the box is capable of doing, as long as, the ISP didn't lock them out.

Ne0Wolf7

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
I tried using the URL of D-link's online configuration tool, but it is inaccessible, with chrome identifying it as an unknown page. Even though the router maintains all the D-link branding and labeling, my router is called the Optimum smart router.

U shouldn't have to use any silly online configuration tool. Just about any box, you just open your browser and go to that IP (the gateway) directly. A quick perusal of the DIR 868L online manual (p77) says Port Forwarding available. If you are able to go to the management screen, look for the ADVANCE tab, if either absent or grayed out, the ISP has locked this feature from you.

From the basic search I did that router appears to use a ethernet connection for it wan port. This means you have some kind of modem in your house that it plugs into. You should be able to swap that router out with pretty much any router you want. Now if it is some other router than a actual DIR-868L that has a modem in it then I don't know.

Ne0Wolf7

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
I have a separate modem, also from optimum. Using the default gateways was my first action, but it redirected me to optimum.net/router- not the D-link management screen.
Could it have optimum firmware on it as opposed to D-link's?

You will find a lot of discussion on that router and the custom firmware. Mostly it is how to load standard firmware on it.

Hard to say it is not uncommon for ISP to disable many feature. Pretty much they don't want to deal with people changing stuff and then calling for support. When you own the router they could care less because they do not have to support it and the manufacture most times want to charge you for support on configuration.

Ne0Wolf7

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
I see, but there doesn't appear to be a way to update firmware with optimum's configuration tool. It's not mine, but theirs, so I guess I can't do much with it (although info from 2014 says optimum routers were able to port forward, grrr.)
Thanks nonetheless.

Things are pointing to an ISP custom firmware.

Next thing I wanna know is, is the modem giving you a public IP? if so u can replace this router with your own, see no repercussion doing so. However if the modem is giving you a private IP, it's doing NAT, you will have to also Port Forward here, or configure it as a bridge, if allowed. Without full access, u maybe screwed.