Robert

My Windows XP Home system has suddenly stopped accepting
print jobs from either Word or Notepad and instead
displaying a message box with "Port is Busy" as the title
and "Control program will be closed" as the message.
Nothing has changed and the computer and printer have not
been moved. Knowledgebase does not appear to address this
message.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

The large software hammer approach.
Check BIOS for the proper settings. (Parallel port or USB subsystem).
Uninstall the printer driver(s)
Use a printer driver "clean-up utility" if available on the Mfrs web site.
In safe mode, uninstall the printer port if using the parallel port.
If the printer is the sole device using the USB subsystem, you might
consider uninstalling it.
Reboot with the printer disconnected from the PC.
(It may thake more than one reboot to reinstall the USB subsystem drivers
properly.)
Reinstall the printer drivers, following the instructions/prompts carefully.
You will usually be prompted to connect the printer in a specific sequence
and at the proper time. (The installation will often fail if you do not
follow the instructions to the letter, and you might be back to square one.)

Check for and if appropriate, download updated drivers from the Mfrs web
site before you attempt to reinstall the printer drivers.

"Robert" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Windows XP Home system has suddenly stopped accepting
> print jobs from either Word or Notepad and instead
> displaying a message box with "Port is Busy" as the title
> and "Control program will be closed" as the message.
> Nothing has changed and the computer and printer have not
> been moved. Knowledgebase does not appear to address this
> message.

---
Outgoing mail is AVG certified Virus Free.