[SOLVED] Port Not Opening After Forwarding

MaxArk

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2012
I am trying to optimize my connection with my torrent client. I have assigned an incoming TCP/UDP listen port in the client.
I have gone into my Hitron CODA-4582U modem/router's port forwarding configuration and created a new rule for the torrent application. Protocol: TCP/UDP; Public and Private port ranges 51022 - 51022; my local ip address 192.168.0.xx; Remote IP address = ANY, and Rule is turned on. Rule applied, and port forwarding changes saved.
WIndows Defender set to allow the client app through on both Private and Public networks.

But when I use various online port checkers, 51022 is always CLOSED. I have tried other random ports, and I just can't find to open any.

Where have I gone wrong? It might be important to know I'm connected through a VPN.

Solution
If you run a vpn your traffic goes from your PC to the VPN service. It likely uses something like port 443 but it doesn't really matter. Your router never sees the torrent traffic because it is inside the tunnel. Just like your ISP....which I assume is why you run torrent over vpn... it only see traffic between your house and the VPN provider. This traffic only uses the port the VPN is running on none of the actual ports being used can be seen.

At the vpn provider you have another IP addresses assigned to you that you share with many other people. You have no control over this NAT and can do no port forwarding.

You could I run the torrent directly out your router and the forwarding rules would work but I suspect like most...
I am trying to optimize my connection with my torrent client. I have assigned an incoming TCP/UDP listen port in the client.
I have gone into my Hitron CODA-4582U modem/router's port forwarding configuration and created a new rule for the torrent application. Protocol: TCP/UDP; Public and Private port ranges 51022 - 51022; my local ip address 192.168.0.xx; Remote IP address = ANY, and Rule is turned on. Rule applied, and port forwarding changes saved.
WIndows Defender set to allow the client app through on both Private and Public networks.

But when I use various online port checkers, 51022 is always CLOSED. I have tried other random ports, and I just can't find to open any.

Where have I gone wrong? It might be important to know I'm connected through a VPN.
You should check about your VPN, which it appears to be blocking those ports.
VPNs usually have a NAT firewall in place to help protect customers. Some VPNs may include port forwarding to reroute incoming connections to bypass their NAT firewall.

If you run a vpn your traffic goes from your PC to the VPN service. It likely uses something like port 443 but it doesn't really matter. Your router never sees the torrent traffic because it is inside the tunnel. Just like your ISP....which I assume is why you run torrent over vpn... it only see traffic between your house and the VPN provider. This traffic only uses the port the VPN is running on none of the actual ports being used can be seen.

At the vpn provider you have another IP addresses assigned to you that you share with many other people. You have no control over this NAT and can do no port forwarding.

You could I run the torrent directly out your router and the forwarding rules would work but I suspect like most people using torrent you are doing things you do not want tracked back to your IP.

Solution