Portable Air Conditioner

tezarin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2015
Hi all,

My AC unit downstairs in broken and we are in need of a portable AC. What I currently have is a "PAC A120E Delonghi" and it's 12000 BTU. I am looking for something similar and to purchase with similar or better power but some websites have listed their products as BTU DOE and some as BTU ASHRAE.
Was wondering if someone could please let me know if this 12000 listed on my unit is DOE or ASHRAE.
Also, if you could please recommend a good one so I can purchase.
Thank you in advance

D

Deleted member 14196

BTU VS ASHRAE
The new changes to the Energy Labeling Rule now requires all portable air conditioners to list their cooling capacity based on ASHRAE standards (PDF). This is determined by the new energy efficiency testing procedures by the DOE.

So, now as you shop for a new portable air conditioner, you will should see ASHRAE ratings listed per each unit. If you do not see ASHRAE ratings, then that particular retailer is not in compliance with the FTC.

tezarin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2015

BTU VS ASHRAE
The new changes to the Energy Labeling Rule now requires all portable air conditioners to list their cooling capacity based on ASHRAE standards (PDF). This is determined by the new energy efficiency testing procedures by the DOE.

So, now as you shop for a new portable air conditioner, you will should see ASHRAE ratings listed per each unit. If you do not see ASHRAE ratings, then that particular retailer is not in compliance with the FTC.
Thank you for your reply. No where on the unit itself it doesn't mention if it's ASHRAE or DOE, I bought it around 8-9 years ago and can't even find one online. Do you think it's the DOE or ASHRAE? Thanks

D

Deleted member 14196

since the regulations didn't go into effect until 2017 I would say it's just plain old BTU rating

tezarin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2015
since the regulations didn't go into effect until 2017 I would say it's just plain old BTU rating
Thanks much for your great answer. I'm in need of purchasing another one for my house. Which number of BTU should I look for to make sure it's a similar unit in terms of cooling power? Some websites have their products listed as DOE some as ASHRAE. Not sure which one is similar to what I currently have. Thank you again, I really appreciate it.

D

Deleted member 14196

get at least a 12,000, they are rated in BTU and the other rating too on Amazon.com

LG 8,000 BTU (DOE) / 12,000 BTU (ASHRAE) Smart Portable Air Conditioner, Cools 350 Sq.Ft. (14' x 25' room size), Smartphone & Voice Control works with LG ThinQ, Amazon Alexa and Hey Google, 115V

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Portable-Conditioner-Smartphone-Control/dp/B094WZJTP4/ref=sr_1_5?crid=37Y7Q8PKSBJ50&dchild=1&keywords=portable+ac+lg&qid=1625076558&sprefix=portalbe+,aps,192&sr=8-5

Note the BTU is in DOE and also in ASHRAE so an 8000 DOE btu is the equivalent 12,000 ASHRAE rating but I am not sure which one you would want.

DOE vs ASHRAE
https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx1AH5O6KKPZXUK

"ASHRAE reflects the old testing standards when portable ACs were tested in the same way as window units. The DOE found numerous inefficiencies specific to the portable units and began using new testing methods. The DOE rating should be used when considering which unit to buy for the square footage it is needed for. I do not understand why the ASHRAE (higher) BTU rating can still be used in labeling the product as it has been proven to be misleading."

SO! Get an 12,000 DOE one and you should be good--if you need more than 350 sq ft

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ralston18