Portable Desktop (As cheap as humanely possible)

olihop1401

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017
Basically, I've been looking at some benchmarks on a laptop I was originally going to get. It had a Ryzen 3 2200U, and the Vega 3 IGPU. You can imagine that this didn't run much very well. Now, it hit me that I had builds on PCpartpicker in small form factor cases that could outpreform this for around that same price. Granted, portability would be a bit more of a pain, but as long as I could shove it into a bag, it's not an issue.

I have a budget of around £400, and I was wondering if there is any way at all to minimise costs further. I am using some used parts, and I also plan on mounting the case to the back of a monitor for convenience.
I'm genuinely terrible at explaining this, but I'm pretty insistant on getting a desktop rather than a laptop, unless there would be something similar performancewise for a similar price.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/HxVPYT

Can anyone cut down the cost a bit more whilst maintaining portability?
I know it's a lot to ask, but thank you, haha.

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
Have you looked at an Intel NUC ? They are literally 4 inches by 4 inches and act like a desktop, i use one as media server and they are available in a vast array of configurations to meet your needs. You wont need a bag, you can put it in your pocket (excluding components), amazing how small they are for the power they have.

olihop1401

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017

Oh wow! Thank you so much! Thats exactly what I was looking for! I might very well wait for that!

olihop1401

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017

Wait...Can you link me to somewhere where I can actually get hold of it? I seriously cannot find it

olihop1401

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017

It's all good, ahah. I was looking around for it earlier, and I noticed that other people were confused too. The fact that it was announced to be released in Q2 makes me sad, haha. I kinda hopes it'd be a thing. Oh well, I have until christmas