[SOLVED] Portable HDD often has corrupted files

netsonicyxf

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VP5X239
WD 5TB My Passport Portable External Hard Drive, Black - WDBPKJ0050BBK-WESN

I did a FULL format under Windows 10, and used WD official drive utility to do a FULL scan, no problem.
  • When I copy files from Home PC and paste them into the HDD, then plug it into office PC, no problem
  • When I copy files from Office PC and paste them into the HDD, then plug it into Home PC, it often prompts to do a Disk Scan, after the scan is complete, it often shows "FoundXXX" folder, and some files or folders are missing and / or corrupted
  • I copy files from Office PC and paste them into the HDD, then plug it into a notebook in the office, no problem.
  • Yesterday, I did a test: I copied files from Office PC , pasted them into the HDD, and brought it back to home. But I didn't plug it into home PC, today I pluged it into the office PC, files are not corrupted.
Home PC config:
i7-8700k
ASUS Prime Z370-A
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit
Gigabytes GV-N970IXOC-4GD
4 SSD + 2 HDD + 1 USB 3.5 inch HDD
Antec Earthwatts 500W
Antec P180

Office PC config:
i7-4970k
Asus B85-Plus R2.0
Kingston HyperX KHX1866C10D3/8G * 4
2 HDD + 2SSD
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Antec VP550W v2

Last edited:
Solution
I did use USB port on MB, but no go.

I forgot to mentio that:
  • I copy files from Office PC and paste them into the HDD, then plug it into a notebook in the office, no problem.
Just a test.
Copy files to the hdd at the office.
Bring the hdd home.
On the home machine unplug all disk except the OS disk.
Connect the usb disk and see if you can read it.

img

Prominent
Dec 27, 2020
I think the office PC fails on correct data writing. Check the USB port and cable (use USB ports on the Motherboard directly, no front panel ports and change cable)! Use short cable with no extension or USB hub! If no effect, test memory with Memtest86!

netsonicyxf

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
I did use USB port on MB, but no go.

I forgot to mentio that: