Question Portable HDDs keep AutoPlaying at Boot (Due to USB Hub?) ?

accesscpu_

Reputable
May 7, 2019
I have three USB hard drives connected to my Windows 10 desktop (two Western Digital Passports and one Seagate NAS drive). They have started sporadically autoplaying at Windows boot (opening a folder).

Sometimes it's just one, sometimes it's all three...and sometimes it's none (go figure)!

I'm assuming it must have to do with this Vantec 10-Port USB 3.0 Hub that I'm running them through, because when I connect them directly, this doesn't happen. Any ideas how to stop this annoying habit?

Also, I do not want to simply disable autoplay on Windows, because I do find it useful at times.

Lutfij

Titan
I have a glitch on my OS whereby after a couple of updates later, my OS seems to think that all USB driven storage is native to the SATA port and is part of the system, so it doesn't show up on the System Tray remove option. I'd suspect that you have a glitch in your OS, whereby a reinstall of the OS should alleviate the problem. You could try and hook the drives native to the USB ports on your motherboard and see if the issue persists. If not, then the issue can be narrowed down to the hub you're working with.

You could also take the hub over to a donor system and see if the behavior is reproduceable. if it happens again, then the hub is the root of the issue.

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
I have three USB hard drives connected to my Windows 10 desktop (two Western Digital Passports and one Seagate NAS drive). They have started sporadically autoplaying at Windows boot (opening a folder).

Sometimes it's just one, sometimes it's all three...and sometimes it's none (go figure)!

I'm assuming it must have to do with this Vantec 10-Port USB 3.0 Hub that I'm running them through, because when I connect them directly, this doesn't happen. Any ideas how to stop this annoying habit?

Also, I do not want to simply disable autoplay on Windows, because I do find it useful at times.
It does this because when Windows detects a new USB device it automatically opens the folder. When you shutdown and reboot, it reconnects to the USB hub and this the USB drives.

Try turning off auto play temporarily and see if your issue persists. If so, you’ve got a solution… whether you like it or not.

accesscpu_

Reputable
May 7, 2019
Sure, turning off auto play and unplugging the hub (which I already did) will definitely give answers, but will treat the symptoms and not the cause. I just find it weird this has been hooked up like this for a month or two, and it just now started doing it. And I don't even think I've gotten any weird Windows updates lately. So it's more of a a why thing than a how I'm after. But will try switching the hub and see what happens. Thanks

accesscpu_

Reputable
May 7, 2019
Also, just removed the hub again, and it reconfirmed this was the problem (which I'd already done, but figured I'd double check). Will try to buy a different brand and see if that helps. Or just go with some internal cards for extra USB slots.