Question Portable Monitors / USB

Brain Freeze

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2015
I have a laptop (Clevo / Eluktronics N970TF) dual booting both Windows 10 and Ubuntu 20.04. I've decided I need another screen for multi tasking preferably in both OS's and have been browsing over the portable monitors and to be honest I am lost.

I have:
• 1 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 port (Type A)
• 1 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 port (Type C)
• 1 x USB 3.0 (USB 3.1 Gen 1) port (Type A)
• 1 x USB 2.0 port

I was told that my USB C doesn't have data as a monitor powered but wouldn't display anything. Since it is a laptop I want to keep things portable still so a simple one cord would be great, is there another way to one cord a portable monitor for both OS's using one of the other type A ports? I do know 2.0 is not an option, not enough power.

My second question is are all portable monitors the same, do they all connect in the same fashion. Are there any someone would recommend in my situation?

Any help would be humbly appreciated.

Brain Freeze

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2015
Well I know what HDMI is but have no clue what DP is. It would be nice if people would assume that I don't know anything and be more forth coming. A link of an example would be nice. All aside, thanks for your response in any regards.

Brain Freeze

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2015
I do have 2 mini display ports along with HDMI, so what gadget or wire do I need to which monitor. Examples would be great about now. Pictures even better.

Only problem is most monitors I've seen only take usb c

Last edited:

Brain Freeze

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2015
I do have 2 mini display ports along with HDMI, so what gadget or wire do I need to which monitor. Examples would be great about now. Pictures even better.

My only other question is with the mini, will it require me to hug a wall outlet for an external power source or will my laptop power it through that port? HDMI does require external power if memory serves me right. Before I forget, thanks so much for your input, this whole usb c thing has me flustered beyond belief. There's way to many usb's in my opinion.

If you're fortunate, you can find some monitors that still take USB-A. However, they're solely for providing another screen and I'm not sure if they're suitable to doing anything that requires the GPU (i.e., they do software rendering) One such monitor that's still available is https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-MB169B-1920x1080-Portable-Monitor/dp/B013XFJKGI?th=1

If the monitor can take an input via HDMI or Displayport, then you can still use it with your laptop, you'll just have to deal with two cables instead of one.

Brain Freeze

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2015
If you're fortunate, you can find some monitors that still take USB-A. However, they're solely for providing another screen and I'm not sure if they're suitable to doing anything that requires the GPU (i.e., they do software rendering) One such monitor that's still available is https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-MB169B-1920x1080-Portable-Monitor/dp/B013XFJKGI?th=1

If the monitor can take an input via HDMI or Displayport, then you can still use it with your laptop, you'll just have to deal with two cables instead of one.

The two cables you refer to would be like mini display port and usb c or hdmi and usb c?
I'm sorry for sounding dumb but this is all new to me.

Brain Freeze

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2015
Two cables being one for the video signal and one for power (USB is usually enough to power it)

I do have 1 more question, is there such a cable that has either hdmi or mini display port plus power from a usb c and run it to a usb c for a monitor? Another words two different ports going into 1 like a one cable wire like usb c normally is?