Portable SSD Has USB, eSATA Connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
[citation][nom]buwish[/nom]Yeah, it's just a flash drive with a lot of space.[/citation]

its not even a lot of space, there are a few 32GB memory sticks around now.

As someone said, the speeds ar enowhere near enough for this to be considered a proper SSD drive, and it clearly lacks the proper interface hardware of SSD drives.

Also not sure why the encryption software was worth a quatation, it's just fluff, encryption software hads been bundled with usb sticks for ever to try and sell them, i don't know anyone who actually uses it... if they need encryption then they already own the software they need for it... additionally, how exactly does it protect you from data loss?

G

It's a flashdrive with a USB interface. So, it's a USB stick.
But it has an e sata connection, which technically makes it an external drive.

rlobbia

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
This and the RiDATA one (that's been out for a while) barely make the eSATA worthwhile due to slow read/write speeds (ie ~60-85/30-50 MBps respectively)...I gave up on waiting for a fast eSATA SSD-based stick/enclosure and just built my own with a 2.5" enclosure (with eSATA) and one of the Patriot drives to yank out 180/130 MBps read/writes. (the Torqz drive benched at 270/190 MBps with a direct SATA II connection, but eSATA chipsets/drivers that *really* run 3Gbps are quite rare...)

we_are_theBorg

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
Although at the moment it seems to be a non-standards-based connector, it seems that the eSATA + USB port is the future for this type of device, as it provides the ability to get (at least 150MB/s) SATA and 5v @ 500mA USB power in to a single interface. Evidently there were murmurings of a powered eSATA standard back in 2008, but as far as I can Google, it hasn't gotten legs yet.

I'm rather enchanted by the concept of doing Windows 7 installs off of such a drive. I'd love to get super fast reads and random access, even in something with an 8 or 16GB capacity. Anything more and I'd just want a 2.5" enclosure with powered eSATA so I could cram a super snazzy SSD in it...

P.S.... Remember 20MB SCSI HDDs? My cat almost swallowed my 16GB microSD card a couple weeks back... We live in the future...

Status
Not open for further replies.