Question Portable SSD is slowing down Computer

qazwsxdeals

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
I recently bought a PNY Elite 480GB Portable SSD (https://www.amazon.com/PNY-Elite-480GB-Portable-Solid/dp/B01GQPXB3U?th=1) and was using it as a drive to download files onto temporarily to extract to my main internal storage drive.

While it was writing and extracting, I noticed when I try to open folders on different internal drives or even open a new webpage everything just ran MUCH slower. Webpages opened within about 4-5 seconds, but Windows Explorer took up to 10 minutes or just froze altogether.

When I paused all writing and extracting, I noticed it was still incredibly slow. After I unplugged the portable SSD everything went back to normal speeds, which makes me believe it was the portable SSD that's causing it. With that said, I really wanted to keep using it, so I was hoping you had some tips on what I should do?

When I ran CrystalDiskMark, speeds were the normal range. If it helps I can re-run it and post results here.

Thank you!

Are you using a USB 3.0 port? It's possible you're saturating your USB interface with writing/reading/extracting. This is normal behavior for Windows Explorer. Just like when you try to access a DVD - Explorer will 'wait' until the DVD spins up and reads the disc.

qazwsxdeals

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
Are you using a USB 3.0 port? It's possible you're saturating your USB interface with writing/reading/extracting. This is normal behavior for Windows Explorer. Just like when you try to access a DVD - Explorer will 'wait' until the DVD spins up and reads the disc.

I was concerned about accidentally using a USB 2.0 port since it isn't clearly labeled. I'm using the front ports of this computer: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06425046 which says it has only 1 USB-C and 2 USB USB 3.1 Gen 1. I used one of the USB 3.1 ports and confirmed it with CrystalDiskMark run, the largest read I got was over 400 MB/s.

I wish it was that mistake though!

TRENDING THREADS