[SOLVED] Portforwading 25565 still says its closed.

Dec 31, 2021
Hello,
So I have been going through a problem. So, me and my friends are trying to play minecraft together by making a server. But the server requires portforwarding. Following the tutorial I was able to portforward it but then the external ip isn't working and only the local ip that is from my pc. I have tried to disable firewall from my computer still didn't work.
I have an airtel broadband router

Solution
So how are you testing.

Trying to test from a pc on your lan using the external IP does not work on some routers. You must actually test from a device on a different internet connection.

The simplest way is to use one of the many port testers to see if the port is open. Be very sure the server is actually running on the port when you test.

If these say it is closed next are really sure you have a public IP.

Check the IP that your router shows as the WAN IP. Compare this with sites like whatsmyip. It they are not the same you do not have a public IP and will never get port forwarding to work.

After that it is likely you have the port forwarding rule wrong, they can be extremely confusing on some router. Temporarily try...
So how are you testing.

Trying to test from a pc on your lan using the external IP does not work on some routers. You must actually test from a device on a different internet connection.

The simplest way is to use one of the many port testers to see if the port is open. Be very sure the server is actually running on the port when you test.

If these say it is closed next are really sure you have a public IP.

Check the IP that your router shows as the WAN IP. Compare this with sites like whatsmyip. It they are not the same you do not have a public IP and will never get port forwarding to work.

After that it is likely you have the port forwarding rule wrong, they can be extremely confusing on some router. Temporarily try to use DMZ instead it tends to be much simpler to get correct.

Solution