Porting nightmare, suggestions please?

I initiated a WLNP port of a Verizon cellular number to Sprint PCS on
April 19. Verizon terminated service and released the number on April
30. Yet, to date, Sprint has not activated the new service. It is 23
days after initiating the process, and 11 days after Verizon released
the number!

Sprint always claims resolution is a few days away.

I have called a half-dozen Sprint PCS phone numbers I found on this
newsgroup and elsewhere, including "customer service", "port
resolution", "executive services", and "escalation" and spent hours on
the phone with them. None of the people answering are able to do
anything to solve the problem or even to explain what the problem is.

I would like to get my case referred to someone who can resolve it
immediately. Any suggestions? What other options do I have?

John Pane

From: Wild Princess (thewildprincess@msn.com)
Subject: IT Porting Resolution Director @ Kansas HeadQuarters - PHONE
Original FormatNewsgroups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs
Date: 2003-12-11 12:52:18 PST

Name is Scott Lane and he is the Director of WLNP (this
porting madness) @ Sprint. Every flunky reports back into this group.

913-762-7449

"John Pane" <spam@pane.net> wrote in message
> I initiated a WLNP port of a Verizon cellular number to Sprint PCS on
> April 19. Verizon terminated service and released the number on April
> 30. Yet, to date, Sprint has not activated the new service. It is 23
> days after initiating the process, and 11 days after Verizon released
> the number!
>
> Sprint always claims resolution is a few days away.
>
> I have called a half-dozen Sprint PCS phone numbers I found on this
> newsgroup and elsewhere, including "customer service", "port
> resolution", "executive services", and "escalation" and spent hours on
> the phone with them. None of the people answering are able to do
> anything to solve the problem or even to explain what the problem is.
>
> I would like to get my case referred to someone who can resolve it
> immediately. Any suggestions? What other options do I have?
>
> John Pane

John, a few questions ... How did you initiate the port request? Did you
call SPCS first, or Verizon?

Are you porting a number designated for your calling area, to the same area?

Is your name and billing address listed exactly the same from your Verizon
account, as it is for SPCS? When I say exactly, everything ... including the
"." following your middle initial?

What is SPCS telling you?

Bob

In article <40a0f41b$0$164$892e0abb@auth.newsreader.octanews.com>,
Thomas T. Veldhouse <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Did you call them? You need to reprogram you phone to take the port
>(unless they did this correctly when they sold you the phone). Just
>call and tell them the phone was not programmed and could they please
>walk you through it. It takes about 5 minutes.
>
>Presumably, Sprint is claiming that the port was successful and that it
>is active. The problem is your phone does not work, right?

Sorry I was not more clear.

I've talked to them dozens of times. The phone is programmed correctly.
They are not claiming success, although they do say that Verizon released
the number to them.

John

In article <40a0f805$0$157$892e0abb@auth.newsreader.octanews.com>, Thomas T. Veldhouse <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Sure Phillip ... send right to the top. That will do it. You don't
>even know if the problem is a porting problem or if it is another
>problem, such as the phone is incorrectly programmed. That was the case
>after my port and it was resolved in 5 minutes after talking with the
>rep [a frontline rep at that].

No, Sprint is admitting the problem is on their end. It is not as simple
as a phone programming problem.

John

In article <xP6oc.16366$Hs1.3849@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
>John, a few questions ... How did you initiate the port request? Did you
>call SPCS first, or Verizon?

I initiated the port request with Sprint, at the time I purchased a phone.

>Are you porting a number designated for your calling area, to the same area?

Same LATA.

>Is your name and billing address listed exactly the same from your Verizon
>account, as it is for SPCS? When I say exactly, everything ... including the
>"." following your middle initial?

Not sure, but given that Verizon has released the number and terminated my
account, I don't think that is the hold up.

>What is SPCS telling you?

They are saying there is a technical difficulty with their
provisioning system that is preventing them from completing the
activation. They always claim the activation will be complete in
a few business days, but they have been saying that for weeks.

John

> In article <xP6oc.16366$Hs1.3849@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
> >John, a few questions ... How did you initiate the port request? Did you
> >call SPCS first, or Verizon?
>
> I initiated the port request with Sprint, at the time I purchased a phone.
>
> >Are you porting a number designated for your calling area, to the same
area?

> Same LATA.
>
> >Is your name and billing address listed exactly the same from your
Verizon
> >account, as it is for SPCS? When I say exactly, everything ... including
the
> >"." following your middle initial?
>
> Not sure, but given that Verizon has released the number and terminated my
> account, I don't think that is the hold up.
>

> >What is SPCS telling you?
>
> They are saying there is a technical difficulty with their
> provisioning system that is preventing them from completing the
> activation. They always claim the activation will be complete in
> a few business days, but they have been saying that for weeks.

It sounds like you do need to speak with higher levels. Here's a link with
numbers to all their departments -
http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=10
Either Executive Services or the WLNP depts. can help you.

Bob

In article <c7r3ub$b3a$1@sheepberry.srv.cs.cmu.edu>,
John Pane <spam@pane.net> wrote:

> They are saying there is a technical difficulty with their
> provisioning system that is preventing them from completing the
> activation. They always claim the activation will be complete in
> a few business days, but they have been saying that for weeks.

Call Dave Cumlin, head of Executive Services at 817 215 3149

you may have to go through his executive assistant. Jennifer Ferguson.

There is no excuse for such a delay. Make sure you ask them
"What is my compensation for this grief"? Maybe call Legal
913-315-9278

or write to

PCSGeneralCounsel@Sprintspectrum.com

and by all means file a report with the FCC on your porting experience.

In article <c7r3mp$au2$1@sheepberry.srv.cs.cmu.edu>,
John Pane <spam@pane.net> wrote:

> In article <40a0f805$0$157$892e0abb@auth.newsreader.octanews.com>, Thomas T.
> Veldhouse <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >Sure Phillip ... send right to the top. That will do it. You don't
> >even know if the problem is a porting problem or if it is another
> >problem, such as the phone is incorrectly programmed. That was the case
> >after my port and it was resolved in 5 minutes after talking with the
> >rep [a frontline rep at that].
>
> No, Sprint is admitting the problem is on their end. It is not as simple
> as a phone programming problem.

Ignore Veldhouse. SprintPCS never did anything wrong as far as he's
concerned and soon he will be claiming this is all your fault.

In article <rmarkoff-540218.10441211052004@news4.west.earthlink.net>, Røbert M <rmarkoff@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Name is Scott Lane and he is the Director of WLNP (this
>porting madness) @ Sprint. Every flunky reports back into this group.

Within hours of leaving a message for Scott Lane, the phone was activated!
Thank you all for your suggestions.

John

--

Eric

(John Pane) wrote:
<<Within hours of leaving a message for Scott Lane, the phone was
activated! Thank you all for your suggestions. >>

I didn't help in this thread, but wanted to say that I am happy you got
your problem resolved. There are many times when regular Customer Care
cannot help (either because they do not know, don't want to
help/research the problem, or are undertrained) but speaking to someone
else higher up in the ladder works like a charm.
Always give *2 a chance to help, but know that there are other avenues
if they cannot.

Eric

In article <c7rdip$gam$1@sheepberry.srv.cs.cmu.edu>,
John Pane <spam@pane.net> wrote:

> In article <rmarkoff-540218.10441211052004@news4.west.earthlink.net>, Røbert
> M <rmarkoff@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >Name is Scott Lane and he is the Director of WLNP (this
> >porting madness) @ Sprint. Every flunky reports back into this group.
>
> Within hours of leaving a message for Scott Lane, the phone was activated!
> Thank you all for your suggestions.
>
> John

Glad to help !!

In article <40a14d95$0$176$892e0abb@auth.newsreader.octanews.com>, Thomas T. Veldhouse <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Where you, just post an
>inflamatory [towards Sprint PCS] statement to call outside of the normal
>channels and intentially disrupt the normal state of affairs. That is
>not called for until all normal avenues of escallation have been
>exhausted.

In this case, I suggest that all normal avenues of escalation had already been
exhausted.

John

In article <40a14c8d$0$176$892e0abb@auth.newsreader.octanews.com>, Thomas T. Veldhouse <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote:
>So, are you able to make calls on your phone?

No, not during the 23 days in limbo. The phone started working after
a call to Scott Lane, with no further intervention on my part (such
as re-programming).

>You are issued a
>temporary number (rather, there is a gateway number if you will) that
>allows you to use the phone while you are waiting for the port.

We were never offered the use of the temporary/gateway number. At one point
I tried calling it and got a number-out-of-service message.

John

In article <4335-40A151A2-596@storefull-3238.bay.webtv.net>,
caperenewal@webtv.net (Eric) wrote:

> (John Pane) wrote:
> <<Within hours of leaving a message for Scott Lane, the phone was
> activated! Thank you all for your suggestions. >>
>
> I didn't help in this thread, but wanted to say that I am happy you got
> your problem resolved. There are many times when regular Customer Care
> cannot help (either because they do not know, don't want to
> help/research the problem, or are undertrained) but speaking to someone
> else higher up in the ladder works like a charm.
> Always give *2 a chance to help, but know that there are other avenues
> if they cannot.
>
> Eric

I did help, was the source of the phone number that solved his problem,
and yet others were quick to insult me for offering that helpful
information.

In article <c7rkmh$k4t$1@sheepberry.srv.cs.cmu.edu>,
John Pane <spam@pane.net> wrote:

> In article <40a14c8d$0$176$892e0abb@auth.newsreader.octanews.com>, Thomas T.
> Veldhouse <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >So, are you able to make calls on your phone?
>
> No, not during the 23 days in limbo. The phone started working after
> a call to Scott Lane, with no further intervention on my part (such
> as re-programming).
>

> >You are issued a
> >temporary number (rather, there is a gateway number if you will) that
> >allows you to use the phone while you are waiting for the port.
>
> We were never offered the use of the temporary/gateway number. At one point
> I tried calling it and got a number-out-of-service message.

Now lets hope that you don't get charged for those 23 days. Likely that
will take manual intervention by some higher up.

"Røbert M" <rmarkoff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In article <c7rkmh$k4t$1@sheepberry.srv.cs.cmu.edu>,
> John Pane <spam@pane.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <40a14c8d$0$176$892e0abb@auth.newsreader.octanews.com>,
Thomas T.
> > Veldhouse <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > >So, are you able to make calls on your phone?
> >
> > No, not during the 23 days in limbo. The phone started working after
> > a call to Scott Lane, with no further intervention on my part (such
> > as re-programming).
> >

> > >You are issued a
> > >temporary number (rather, there is a gateway number if you will) that
> > >allows you to use the phone while you are waiting for the port.
> >
> > We were never offered the use of the temporary/gateway number. At one
point
> > I tried calling it and got a number-out-of-service message.
>
> Now lets hope that you don't get charged for those 23 days. Likely that
> will take manual intervention by some higher up.

You know, you've been very much on point with 95% of your posts over the
last week. Why spoil it with supposition and attempts at fortune telling?

In article <c7rkgh$k4g$1@sheepberry.srv.cs.cmu.edu>,
John Pane <spam@pane.net> wrote:

> In article <40a14d95$0$176$892e0abb@auth.newsreader.octanews.com>, Thomas T.
> Veldhouse <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >Where you, just post an
> >inflamatory [towards Sprint PCS] statement to call outside of the normal
> >channels and intentially disrupt the normal state of affairs. That is
> >not called for until all normal avenues of escallation have been
> >exhausted.
>
> In this case, I suggest that all normal avenues of escalation had already
> been
> exhausted.
>
> John

no comment, but why would anyone suggest otherwise after 23 days?

>Call Dave Cumlin, head of Executive Services at 817 215 3149

His name is Tumlin not Cumlin -

In article <20040511193135.09260.00000333@mb-m17.aol.com>,
readnewsgroups@aol.com (Readnewsgroups) wrote:

> >Call Dave Cumlin, head of Executive Services

> His name is Tumlin not Cumlin -

Thank you sir, I'll be sure to post it next time Veldhouse
refuses to help someone thats been waiting 23 days for a Port.

"Readnewsgroups" <readnewsgroups@aol.com> wrote in message
> >Call Dave Cumlin, head of Executive Services at 817 215 3149
>
> His name is Tumlin not Cumlin -

Geez Louise Phillipe. Not only did you create yet one more Robert M id, but
you have to change IDs to correct your prior post?

You really are a piece of bad work there ...

Bob