[SOLVED] Ports closed even after portforwarding

Daniel Hadaya

Reputable
Mar 12, 2015
Hi,
I'm trying to host a CS:GO server for me and my friends. I have followed steps from the internet on portforwarding, but when trying to test if the port is open (www.yougetsignal.com Port 27015 is closed on 86.50.xx.xxx. ), it claims that the port is closed. Also, my friends can not join the server, I'm the only one able to connect.

I am hosting the server from my laptop over Wi-Fi. Here is some additional information:
Picture of portforwards in my router:

ipconfig /all
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : LenovoDH
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter WLAN:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : F8-34-41-DB-8F-6C
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::6d80:bc24:f8af:f0d9%15(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.38.101(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 12. maaliskuutata 2019 23:06:16
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 13. maaliskuutata 2019 11:06:16
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.38.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.38.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 100152385
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-21-F3-A1-CF-F8-34-41-DB-8F-6C
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.38.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

In Windows Firewall Inbound rules:
Name Profile Action Override Local Port
CS1 All Allow No 27015 [TCP]
CS2 All Allow No 27015 [UDP]
CS3 All Allow No 27005 [TCP]
CS4 All Allow No 27005 [UDP]

TCP/IPv4 adapter settings are set to IP & DNS automatic

I hope to get some help.
Thank you.

Solution
First make sure the ip you are sending the test to is the same as you see on the wan port of your router.

If you have modem try to plug your pc directly into the modem. Your pc is now directly on the internet. If it works here then it something strange with the router config. If it does not work then there is a PC problem or something strange like the ISP is blocking ports.

Note when you test the program actually has to be up and listening to those ports. If nothing responds then it will be marked as not open.
First make sure the ip you are sending the test to is the same as you see on the wan port of your router.

If you have modem try to plug your pc directly into the modem. Your pc is now directly on the internet. If it works here then it something strange with the router config. If it does not work then there is a PC problem or something strange like the ISP is blocking ports.

Note when you test the program actually has to be up and listening to those ports. If nothing responds then it will be marked as not open.

Solution

Daniel Hadaya

Reputable
Mar 12, 2015

In WAN:
IP Address:86.50.xx.xxx
Yeah, it's the same as I'm trying to test. The server is up and running when I'm trying to test the port. Do you know is there any other ways to test, than trying to connect the laptop directly to the modem? I don't have a USB - Ethernet adapter, and it's a pain to install the server to my desktop from the start.
If there's no other way, I think I'll have to install it to my desktop at some point to test it out.

If you do not receive the data then the next suspect is that the port forwarding is not correctly setup. Could be a config issue or a bug in the router.

I would try to use the DMZ option in the router only to test. This is extremely simplistic so the router can't get it wrong. You should see a massive amount of data if you were to run a port scan on your public ip since all those would be passed to the end pc running wire shark.

If you still see nothing with the DMZ option then you start to question if there is there something else in the router blocking it or does the router not even get the data. The router not getting the data means the ISP is blocking it in some way.

It will be hard to figure this out. Maybe you could put a rule in the router firewall blocking the port and see if you get any log messages saying it was blocked. This will all depend on if the router has that ability.

Daniel Hadaya

Reputable
Mar 12, 2015
So, I'm not 100% what I had to do, but I enabled and entered the DMZ Host IP Address: as my laptops local IP. When I did this, I got extreme lot of packets through wireshark.

Now while it's enabled, I tried to test the port 27015, but it was still 'Closed', and I didn't get packets regarding the 27015 port. Is this what I had to do?

And yeah, the ISP might be blocking portforwarding(?), as I'm a student with the student internet coming to my apartment.

Key would be do you see the packet going to 27015 come into your machine. You may want to have it sent it a lot in case you miss it. I would try other ports even though you know they are not going to respond. What you want to see is if any are showing up in wireshark. Many sites will do ranges of ports so you could try a larger group.

Wireshark does have the ability to filter traffic only for certain ports to cut down on what is displayed. You have to be careful though if you get the filters wrong it may not display the packets you want. It is a little tricky to learn the filter syntax but it is very powerful.

For most people the brute force look through the traffic approach is fine when you are not doing it much.

TRENDING THREADS