"Ports (COM & LPT)" Not Listed In Device Manager

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,sdnet.wireless.pcs (More info?)

All right. I'll pay a shiny nickel to anyone who can figure this out, as
I've exhausted my options on Google, the KB, etc.

Background: I'm trying to install and use a Sprint PCS wireless modem
(Novatel) on a Dell Latitude 5100 running Windows XP Pro, SP1, with all
patches installed. The install appears to work just fine, and I can see a
signal, etc. However, when I try to actually dial a connection to the
Internet, I get the error:

"There was a hardware failure in the modem (or other connecting device)"

Let me preface the rest by point out that the PCMCIA port on the laptop
works. The wireless card works (in ten+ other Windows XP laptops). And I
have a built-in modem that works.

So, in trying to troubleshoot this error, I found myself looking for the
Ports (COM & LPT) in the Device Manager. But this isn't an option. The
modem and status ports are assigned to COM4 and COM5, respectively. But I
can't see the COM ports in the device manager.

Every other Windows XP system that I have lists the Ports in the DM, with
the exception of this one.

Any takers?

In article <2ic3qmFlccffU1@uni-berlin.de>,
"Keith W. McCammon" <km@km.com> wrote:

> All right. I'll pay a shiny nickel to anyone who can figure this out, as
> I've exhausted my options on Google, the KB, etc.
>
> Background: I'm trying to install and use a Sprint PCS wireless modem
> (Novatel) on a Dell Latitude 5100 running Windows XP Pro, SP1, with all
> patches installed. The install appears to work just fine, and I can see a
> signal, etc. However, when I try to actually dial a connection to the
> Internet, I get the error:
>
> "There was a hardware failure in the modem (or other connecting device)"
>
> Let me preface the rest by point out that the PCMCIA port on the laptop
> works. The wireless card works (in ten+ other Windows XP laptops). And I
> have a built-in modem that works.
>
> So, in trying to troubleshoot this error, I found myself looking for the
> Ports (COM & LPT) in the Device Manager. But this isn't an option. The
> modem and status ports are assigned to COM4 and COM5, respectively. But I
> can't see the COM ports in the device manager.
>
> Every other Windows XP system that I have lists the Ports in the DM, with
> the exception of this one.
>
> Any takers?

You have to install the drivers before you install the card.

1. Remove the Card
2. Uninstall the drivers
3. Disconnect from internet
4. turn off your antivirus
5. Install the drivers
6. Turn on your antivirus
7. turn off computer, insert card, reboot.

Also make sure you don't have any FAX software trying to access the card.
Turn off any FAX software to test that possibility.

Eric

(Røbert M.) wrote:
> You have to install the drivers before you
> install the card. (snip)

Hey, you forgot to ask for your "shiny nickel". That could go in the
fund for your $20 dinner for two. ;)

Eric

In article <13849-40C0DED3-93@storefull-3238.bay.webtv.net>,
caperenewal@webtv.net (Eric) wrote:

> (Røbert M.) wrote:
> > You have to install the drivers before you
> > install the card. (snip)
>
> Hey, you forgot to ask for your "shiny nickel". That could go in the
> fund for your $20 dinner for two. ;)
>
> Eric

Just trying to be helpful. The more I think about it, the more likely it
is there is a FAX program grabbing the "modem".