PORTS: COM1 AND LPT1

alex

HELLO EVERYBODY

I BOUGHT A NEW COMPUTER, THIS IS A INSPIRON 1150, WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION, I
USUALLY WORK WITH COM1 AND LPT1 PORTS (SERIAL AND PARALLEL), BUT THIS KIND OF
COMPUTER DOESN'T HAVE THESE COMMUNICATION PORTS, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF I
CAN CONVERT MY USB PORT TO COM PORT OR LPT PORT.

ANOTHER QUESTION, THIS COMPUTER HAVE A WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION, I WOULD LIKE
TO KNOW IF I CAN CONVERT IT TO WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL EDITION.

THANKS

You have another problem. Your Caps Lock key seems to be stuck.

This is the equivalent of shouting and is considered RUDE.

Modern printers have the capability of using the USB ports.
Or you can buy an adapter cable. Something like this >>>

MH Parallel to USB Converter DB25F to USB, 6ft
http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cable_details.cfm?sku=336581&cats=471&catid=471

USB to serial converter with short 4" cable. part # USB_G4
http://pfranc.com/cgi-bin/P/USB_G4

USB RS-232 Serial Adapter DB-9 Male
http://www.usbgear.com/USBG-232MINI.html

You can upgrade to XP Pro. All you have to do is buy it and install it.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:D1C6D463-71DB-4283-B4C6-8682B18EC7F3@microsoft.com,
ALEX <ALEX@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> HELLO EVERYBODY
>
> I BOUGHT A NEW COMPUTER, THIS IS A INSPIRON 1150, WINDOWS XP HOME
> EDITION, I USUALLY WORK WITH COM1 AND LPT1 PORTS (SERIAL AND
> PARALLEL), BUT THIS KIND OF COMPUTER DOESN'T HAVE THESE COMMUNICATION
> PORTS, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF I CAN CONVERT MY USB PORT TO COM PORT
> OR LPT PORT.
>
> ANOTHER QUESTION, THIS COMPUTER HAVE A WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION, I
> WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF I CAN CONVERT IT TO WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL
> EDITION.
>
> THANKS

Dell can supply a USB200 Docking cable.. call them up and ask them about
it..

"ALEX" <ALEX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> HELLO EVERYBODY
>
> I BOUGHT A NEW COMPUTER, THIS IS A INSPIRON 1150, WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION,
> USUALLY WORK WITH COM1 AND LPT1 PORTS (SERIAL AND PARALLEL), BUT THIS KIND
> OF
> COMPUTER DOESN'T HAVE THESE COMMUNICATION PORTS, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF I
> CAN CONVERT MY USB PORT TO COM PORT OR LPT PORT.
>
> ANOTHER QUESTION, THIS COMPUTER HAVE A WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION, I WOULD
> LIKE
> TO KNOW IF I CAN CONVERT IT TO WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL EDITION.
>
> THANKS

opa

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2004

Turn off your caps lock and try to look inside the BIOS and find out if
these ports are disabled.

"ALEX" <ALEX@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht