Question Ports for my devices

AlexS

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Hello

I've spec'd put my new PC here:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/AlexZS123/saved/ZW6dmG

It's built around a Gigabyte Z390 Designare motherboard. I also have a BeQuiet 600 ATX case

I also have a 7 port powered USB 2 hub.

My concern is that I may not have enough ports.

I need at least 2 x USB V1.1, 12 X USB V2, 2 x USB-C, and I need to plug on a FireWire 400 device (Is there a neat solution to plug into the thunderbolt 3 interface nowadays?).

Oh and slots for SD media would be good..

Any advice/suggestions appreciated...!

FYI Device audit below:

USB 1.1: TOTAL = 2
Faderport Classic
Dell SK-8135 inc USB port

USB2, TOTAL = 11.

Atom
A300 Pro
Maschine Studio
Traktor Z1
Phone USB 2
TY-CC10W
Phone
Gigabyte M6980X
Yamaha DGX-505
Roland SPD-30

USB-C
Phone.

Firewire 400

Saffire Pro 40

Thanks!

Last edited:

AlexS

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Ah looks like I read the website wrong ! Thx.

Can anybody recommend a decent 5 3/4* media card reader? With esata, sd formats, usb etc.

Also to plug in a FireWire 400 device, I still have to plug in a Apple cable from thunderbolt 3 to FireWire 800, and then another FireWire 800 to FireWire 400 converter? No neater solutions?

Thanks.

AlexS

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Nevermind, I just went and bought the Apple cables for the firewire (fingers crossed) and bought any old media card reader that seemed half decent (well hopefully).

Appreciate the help.

Believe it or not, you may end up being happier with an external device. The cheaply-made ones (which is about all you can find anymore) can short out easily, and guess what they are plugged into? Oh, right, the motherboard! Hmm, a short on a drive plugged straight into the motherboard, what could go wrong? Lol. If it doesn't come built into the high-quality case, best to just look for an external, self-enclosed solution IMO.