[SOLVED] Ports Forwarded But Still Closed with Calix GigaCenter 844

Connor_13

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016
I'm trying to get a modded Minecraft server up and running to play with friends remotely. I've done this in the past with no issue but I seem to be hitting a roadblock. I've forwarded the appropriate ports, reduced my firewall on the router and the machine that's hosting the server, and even placed the server as a DMZ host. But port 25565 still registers as closed when the server is running. Not sure what else to try before calling up my ISP. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

kanewolf

Titan
I'm trying to get a modded Minecraft server up and running to play with friends remotely. I've done this in the past with no issue but I seem to be hitting a roadblock. I've forwarded the appropriate ports, reduced my firewall on the router and the machine that's hosting the server, and even placed the server as a DMZ host. But port 25565 still registers as closed when the server is running. Not sure what else to try before calling up my ISP. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Have you verified that your GigaCenter router has a public IP address? That the IP listed on the WAN status of the router matches the IP address on a port checker like canyouseeme.org

Jul 31, 2020
Assuming Windows; you don't say. Can you type netstat -a -b into a command prompt window? In the vast majority of cases, but not all, that will tell what program is holding port 25565 .

Connor_13

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016
Not really sure how to find the WAN IP on my router with this Calix UI, but I can see my WAN IP everywhere else. Tried using the netstat command and found that 25565 was also being used by another program but it still shows that it's closed. It also shows every common port as closed, not sure if that's helpful at all.

kanewolf

Titan
Not really sure how to find the WAN IP on my router with this Calix UI, but I can see my WAN IP everywhere else. Tried using the netstat command and found that 25565 was also being used by another program but it still shows that it's closed. It also shows every common port as closed, not sure if that's helpful at all.
You have to determine IF you have a public IP on your router. If you don't, you can't port forward.

kanewolf

Titan
Looking at a manual for a similar router the WAN IP address should be visible on the "Connections" display -- https://www.calix.com/content/calix...0e-gc-spg/index.htm?toc76243155.htm?77132.htm
If your IPv4 address is a 10.x.y.z or a 192.168.x.y or a 100.x.y.z then you don't have a public IP address. Check what is shown on the connections tab against canyouseeme.org If they DON'T MATCH then you can't port forward.

Reactions: Connor_13
Solution

Connor_13

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016
Looking at a manual for a similar router the WAN IP address should be visible on the "Connections" display -- https://www.calix.com/content/calix...0e-gc-spg/index.htm?toc76243155.htm?77132.htm
If your IPv4 address is a 10.x.y.z or a 192.168.x.y or a 100.x.y.z then you don't have a public IP address. Check what is shown on the connections tab against canyouseeme.org If they DON'T MATCH then you can't port forward.

Looks like that is in fact the case. My WAN IP listed on the router page is different than the public IP listed on there. Does that mean pointing the DMZ hosting to the machine running the server would also be ineffective?