POS AC Adapter?

Anyone know of a 3rd party who makes a good replacement of the POS AC
Adapter that comes with the Inspiron (4000 series in my case)?

I'm tired if replacing these damn things, I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th one
now and the wiring either right at the goofy shaped plug (on internal to
it) is intermittent.

Even an alternate source for the plug end that goes into the laptop, I'll
hack this one of and solder a new one on.

The adapter info is:

PA-6 family
p/n 9364U

Eugene

Shinner wrote:

> Anyone know of a 3rd party who makes a good replacement of the POS AC
> Adapter that comes with the Inspiron (4000 series in my case)?
>
> I'm tired if replacing these damn things, I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th one
> now and the wiring either right at the goofy shaped plug (on internal to
> it) is intermittent.
>
> Even an alternate source for the plug end that goes into the laptop, I'll
> hack this one of and solder a new one on.
>

> The adapter info is:
>
> PA-6 family
> p/n 9364U
Digi-key now sells the plugs.

Eugene <nospam@columbus.rr.com> wrote in news:6sUnc.1102$OE3.622
@fe1.columbus.rr.com:

> Digi-key now sells the plugs.

Thank you!

Eugene <nospam@columbus.rr.com> wrote in

> Digi-key now sells the plugs.

hate to bug ya, but you wouldn't have a p/n off-hand, would ya?

(normally wouldn't ask but I figure if you knew of the source, maybe you've
bought one. looking on digi-key's page now and it's a tough search)

Shinner <me@someserver.net> wrote in

> Eugene <nospam@columbus.rr.com> wrote in
>
>> Digi-key now sells the plugs.
>
> hate to bug ya, but you wouldn't have a p/n off-hand, would ya?
>
> (normally wouldn't ask but I figure if you knew of the source, maybe
> you've bought one. looking on digi-key's page now and it's a tough
> search)

nevermind, think I found it...got lucky and used a magnifying glass to look
at the plug. All that's on there is some sort of company logo/trademark
that looks like HSR. Looked at the manufacturers on their site and saw one
called Horise (think that's the spelling) and they make laptop power
adaptor plugs....so I think I have the right one. Just need to check
dimensions.

Eugene

Shinner wrote:

> Eugene <nospam@columbus.rr.com> wrote in
>
>> Digi-key now sells the plugs.
>
> hate to bug ya, but you wouldn't have a p/n off-hand, would ya?
>
> (normally wouldn't ask but I figure if you knew of the source, maybe
> you've bought one. looking on digi-key's page now and it's a tough search)

Found it again. HRS RP34 Series Miniature Power Connectors. Try Digi-key
parts HR170-ND through HR175-ND.

> Found it again. HRS RP34 Series Miniature Power Connectors. Try
> Digi-key parts HR170-ND through HR175-ND.

yep, they're the ones I just stumbled on :)

only difference I can see is that the channel below the plug I have is 1
wide one, while the pic on the website shows 2 small ones. Dimensions
otherwise appear to match....

Gonna grab a few, if the bottom channel is a problem, I'll xacto knife the
center piece to make 1 wide channel like the OEM plug :)

thanks again!

Eugene

Shinner wrote:

> Eugene <nospam@columbus.rr.com> wrote in
>
>> Found it again. HRS RP34 Series Miniature Power Connectors. Try
>> Digi-key parts HR170-ND through HR175-ND.
>
> yep, they're the ones I just stumbled on :)
>
> only difference I can see is that the channel below the plug I have is 1
> wide one, while the pic on the website shows 2 small ones. Dimensions
> otherwise appear to match....
>
> Gonna grab a few, if the bottom channel is a problem, I'll xacto knife the
> center piece to make 1 wide channel like the OEM plug :)
>
> thanks again!
Hmm, all the dells I have seen have the three pin deal like those.
My c400, the l400's I've seen, the C500/600's the insp 1100 are all the
three pin.

Robert

What do you do to it?
Mine is 2 1/2 years old, I use it every day - undocking & docking it, using
it on jobs as a tool. I have never broken the wires in the cable. I don't
wind them up tight or kink them. My problem is the battery is now getting
very sick.

Eugene <nospam@columbus.rr.com> wrote in news:EGdoc.121501$Vp5.60310
@fe2.columbus.rr.com:

> Hmm, all the dells I have seen have the three pin deal like those.
> My c400, the l400's I've seen, the C500/600's the insp 1100 are all the
> three pin.

same amount of pins....I was referring to the bottom of the plug itself,
not the contacts.

"Robert" <PcTech@paradise.net.nz> wrote in

> What do you do to it?

nothing special...just everyday use. Seems like something actually in the
plug or where the wire enters it goes intermittent. I imagine it gets
twisted and eventually snaps. Problem may be that I move the laptop alot
with the adaptor plugged.

> Mine is 2 1/2 years old, I use it every day - undocking & docking it,

that wouldn't put any stress on the plug at the end of the adapter
though...so no surprise there.

Robert

do you put it in your laptop bag with the plug still in place - asking for
trouble!
I have seen people break PS2 & USB ports leaving their mice plugged in when
putting them into their laptop bags. Serves then right.

Hmm - maybe I should back my car out the drive with the door fully open!!

> do you put it in your laptop bag with the plug still in place

no...thats sort of retarded, don't you think? I don't even know if it could
be done with my case. I don't even leave the adapter part connected to the
main power cable. It all gets disconnected and rolled up.

> I have seen people break PS2 & USB ports leaving their mice plugged in
> when putting them into their laptop bags. Serves then right.

that's just lazy (and stupid, obviously)