[SOLVED] Posible bottleneck: RTX 3060 ti paired with i5-9600k

Jun 10, 2020
Pretty much what the title states. I currently have a 2060 super hooked up and would like to upgrade to the 3060 ti and along with that, get a 1440p 180Hz monitor.... Will my CPU be able to handle this?

Solution
Have you overclocked your cpu? What speed is your ram?
You will get far higher frame rates if you have faster ram and higher clock speeds
the 1 percent lows wont be as good as the higher core count chips, but anyone telling you the 9600k @ 5.0 ghz will bottleneck you is just not being reasonable.

(3060ti) The aggregate score puts it 5 percent ahead of the 2080 Super, and 40 percent ahead of the 2060 Super

-Tomshardware

You may want to just overclock your cpu and ram if possible, maybe accept turning down some settings and sit this round of upgrades out. Medium shadows is a nice choice of settings to turn down.

The socket is done with but a 9900kf is as good as it gets for gaming cpu's 329 is a good deal and a super upgrade for you...
Jun 10, 2020
For the most part yes. In some games where higher frame rates may cause an increase to near or maximum cpu usage, and if it causes stutters, just limit fps to a comfortable level.

Thank you for your reply! I have two questions:

first of all, how severe do you think this bottlenecking will be?

second of all, what would be the next best option in terms of CPU to reduce the bottleneck, without having to go overkill for a very expensive one?

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019

second of all, what would be the next best option in terms of CPU to reduce the bottleneck, without having to go overkill for a very expensive one?
It should bottleneck very little, if at all. A 5600X would be ideal to pair with a 3060Ti, but the performance gain wouldn't be very large.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

No problem.

Hyperthreaded 8700k would go along way reducing overall cpu usage in cpu intensive games where six cores can find it challenging. Cpu also needs to pre-render frames for the graphics card, so having a cpu not stretched of resources can be beneficial for higher levels of performance. Higher frame rates and less stutters.

Example; Cpu is an 8600k, not much different to an 9600k. He explains about frame pre-rendering.

You will get far higher frame rates if you have faster ram and higher clock speeds
the 1 percent lows wont be as good as the higher core count chips, but anyone telling you the 9600k @ 5.0 ghz will bottleneck you is just not being reasonable.

(3060ti) The aggregate score puts it 5 percent ahead of the 2080 Super, and 40 percent ahead of the 2060 Super

-Tomshardware

You may want to just overclock your cpu and ram if possible, maybe accept turning down some settings and sit this round of upgrades out. Medium shadows is a nice choice of settings to turn down.

The socket is done with but a 9900kf is as good as it gets for gaming cpu's 329 is a good deal and a super upgrade for you. You could possibly get 100 bucks for your 9600k

I would go with that upgrade over a new gpu. 12 more threads might be a better option for you. It leaves you in a pretty good position to upgrade to any gpu you might want without concerns for the future,

Solution
Jun 10, 2020

-Tomshardware

The socket is done with but a 9900kf is as good as it gets for gaming cpu's 329 is a good deal and a super upgrade for you. You could possibly get 100 bucks for your 9600k

I would go with that upgrade over a new gpu. 12 more threads might be a better option for you. It leaves you in a pretty good position to upgrade to any gpu you might want without concerns for the future,

Thanks for the info! I've tried overclocking my CPU but it just hasn't been needed yet (I only built my PC 3-4 months ago). My ram is running at 32000MHZ.

The way pricing is now in my region, I can sell my 2060 super and get the 3060ti for about 100 euros extra.... So right now upgrading my CPU would be more expensive and a bit out of my budget... So only for 100 euros to get a GPU that has that much better of a performance seems like a no brainer to me. Forgive me if I am missing something, I am still new to this!

Thanks for the info! I've tried overclocking my CPU but it just hasn't been needed yet (I only built my PC 3-4 months ago). My ram is running at 32000MHZ.

The way pricing is now in my region, I can sell my 2060 super and get the 3060ti for about 100 euros extra.... So right now upgrading my CPU would be more expensive and a bit out of my budget... So only for 100 euros to get a GPU that has that much better of a performance seems like a no brainer to me. Forgive me if I am missing something, I am still new to this!

That's not bad at all, providing you can get your hands on the 3060ti!

Dec 13, 2020

How do you get your ram to run at its full speed? My ram is limited to 2666mhz because of the 9600k?

Jun 10, 2020
Also small update! I have my hands on the 3060 ti, hooked it up and during Cyberpunk I am getting 85-95% usage on my CPU and only around 50-60% GPU usage, while overclocking my 9600k to 5GHz at maxed out settings on 1080p.

Anyone know why this is happening? From what I can remember, it was the same story with my 2060 super before I changed, but back then I was running at 4.4 GHZ, which I thought was the issue at the time! Any help?

Jun 10, 2020
Cyberpunk is a complete mess and it’s crippling even the best systems. There are so many reports of performance issues with various setups. I would not use this game as a baseline. Hopefully with game and driver updates this game will get better.
Gotcha thanks. I'm aware of the issues that the game has, just wondering if it was a problem on my end :D

TRENDING THREADS